Intellichlor Pool and Spa Output %

poolcurious7

Bronze Supporter
Sep 20, 2018
Florida
Hello!
I have a 13k gallon pool w/ attached spa.
I run my pump for 8 hours.
What should I set my Pool and Spa output to - it's currently at 40% and 2%.
Appreciate your help and explanation!

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX

2% is a good place to start.. Each pool is different.. You just need to test and see where you are... After you use the spa, check the FC level of the spa water. If low, then raise your spa % a little.. If too much FC, then decrease the %... I personally would rather run a little "hot" on the spa FC rather then having the FC be too low.

Thanks,

Jim R.

poolcurious7

Bronze Supporter
Sep 20, 2018
Florida
My pool guy told me my free chlorine was a bit low @ 3.0. so he told me to increase my pool output to 60%...what should I increase my spa output to? 4%?

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
P,

I would not let a "pool guy" within a hundred yards of my pool... :mrgreen:

I like to personally test my pool and spa water and then use science to determine what I add or do not add to my water..

It is your pool, and you can do whatever you want, but without testing you are just guessing...

Thanks,

Jim R.

jimbethesda

Gold Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Austin, TX
P,

I would not let a "pool guy" within a hundred yards of my pool... :mrgreen:

I like to personally test my pool and spa water and then use science to determine what I add or do not add to my water..

It is your pool, and you can do whatever you want, but without testing you are just guessing...

Thanks,

Jim R.
I second this. Use pool math to determine the %. You’ll need a good estimate of the gallons of the pool vs spa. I’m assuming the 13k gallons is for both? I change my % settings based on my PPM loss per day, which changes.

jimbethesda

Gold Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Austin, TX
Also...you run your pump for 8 hours. That’s for just the pool? How long do you run it for the spa? Is there a spillover mode you use?

poolcurious7

Bronze Supporter
Sep 20, 2018
Florida
Also...you run your pump for 8 hours. That’s for just the pool? How long do you run it for the spa? Is there a spillover mode you use?
Spa is attached to the pool. There is a spill over. there is a jet on the spa floor that goes above and acts as a fountain.
So the spa jet works concurrently with the rest of the pool jets. all connected

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
The purpose of the Spa % is to prevent you from soaking in very high FC when in the Spa mode... This is why you need to check it right after you get out of the spa.. If really high you should turn the % down.. If about the same as the pool water leave it alone.. If very low, crank it up a little...

Thanks,

Jim R.