Intellichlor IC-60 All Lights Green But Not Producing Enough Chlorine.

What's the CYA?

9 hours at 100% should provide about 4.9 ppm fc. That can be lost if the uv is strong and the fc/cya ratio is high.

I'm not sure that you have a problem.

Maybe you can put an energy meter on the swg to see when it's working and how much power it's using.

Hi Parabolic, I was just coming to post those results. The IC60 indicated 3650 ppm salt. The Taylor kit indicates 4200 ppm. I wonder if this is the culprit? Salt levels too high? I seem to remember reading the IC60 manual and it states 3900 ppm as max.

IC60 manual is here --> https://pentairpool.com/~/media/websites/pool/downloads/sanitizers/manuals/intellichlor_owners_manual_version_3_units_after_nov_2011_english.pdf

See page 10 - Salt:3600 - 4500 ppm (ideal 3600 ppm)

2018-05-22_2152.jpg

So, my readings are a bit different than the chart. Namely the FC and CH. Actually, I'm high on CH and FC, and CYA, TA are at the top of the recommended range. Going by SWCG water balance guide in the Pool School.

FC 10.5
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 80
CH 430
CYA 80
Salt 4200
Borates 50
Temp 90
CSI -0.21

My settings for CYA and CH are from the Pool School for SWCGs. The tech that came out said I should raise my CYA for SWCGs to 80-100 ppm. That aligned with what I read on this site. Could this be the issue?

I suspect that the uv index is high causing high fc demand. The warmer weather and water along with the higher uv exposure will dramatically increase fc loss vs what you lose in winter.

It's definitely producing chlorine. Wether or not it's producing the full amount, I can't tell. If it was having trouble producing, it would give an error.

I think that you're convincing yourself that there is a problem when there isn't any.

Maybe put an energy meter on the SWG to see when it's on or off and how much power it uses.

So, I set the IC60 for a 100% run for 9 hours today. Get home from work and I lost .5 ppm chlorine. My pool is 1/3 the rated size of the IC60 and it cannot generate enough chlorine.

The size rating is based on 100 % for 24 hours. You're only running 9 hours, which is close to 1/3 of 24 hours.

Also, your pool has a higher surface area to volume ratio than most pools, which is going to expose the fc to more uv than normal.

Your fc/cya ratio is 11.5/80 = 14.4% from this morning. That's going to use up more chlorine than a lower fc/cya ratio. If you dropped the fc/cya to 7.5%, your fc loss would be much lower, almost by half.

Taking everything into consideration, I don't think that there is a problem.

You may want to check the FAS/DPD test kit to see if it is out of date. Also, (something i learned the hard way) be sure you are positioning/holding your R-0871 Reagent bottle straight up and down when adding drops. If you are holding the bottle sideways while adding drops, it is possible your drop sizes may not be exactly the same as required by the test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.