Intellicenter Questions

ImpalaSS

May 5, 2020
Southern Maryland
My pool builder supplied an Intellicenter 8 circuit load center w/ the transformer for the salt generator and a 521223 i5 + 3S Personality kit. This kit does not have a screen to operate it, just buttons for the relays. How do you control it? Does it need a Screen logic kit? Or has my builder given me the wrong kit?

The Pentair 521223 is an IntelliTouch automation system and NOT an IntelliCenter.

If you are going to keep the IntelliTouch you need ScreenLogic2 for any remote controls or install wired control panels.

Reactions: setsailsoon
SS,

There is a huge difference between the IntelliCenter and the IntelliTouch.. What does you contract say should have been installed?

I agree with Allen.. If you are supposed to get the IntelliTouch, then you need ScreenLogic. Not having ScreenLogic is like having a horse without a saddle.. It works, but not like it should.

If this is a mistake and you should have gotten the IntelliCenter, then you pool builder needs to fix the error.

Thanks,

Jim R.

My contract is for an Easy Touch. I told him I would rather have an Intellicenter. He said it was no problem. I'm thinking he got the wrong personality kit. He would get me anything I ask for but I dont think he quite understands all the technology. I'm a little more involved in my build because I'm doing the electrical work myself, so I've told him what equipment I want based on my research and what I've read here. I'm sure thats good and bad for him. lol.

Basically my intentions for this automation is to run my pump, heater and lights from an iphone, ipad, etc.... I dont have any water features.

Are you getting an SWG? Do you want it bundled with the IntelliCenter?

Are you getting an SWG? Do you want it bundled with the IntelliCenter?
Yes, I am getting a SWG. The load center I have already has the transformer for it.

I'm a little frustrated now..... The load center and the personality kit were 2 different parts. I installed the load center a couple days ago. Today I opened the box for the personality kit but didnt realize it was an Intellitouch. I though it was weird that it didnt have a display but I've never really seen on before.

So I guess my question now would be can you get an intellicenter personality kit to install in the load center or am I stuck with this Intellitouch?

Last edited:
Push hard for the Intellicenter and if you can't win with that go with what Jim and Allen recommend. Easy Touch with Screen Logic. I wouldn't accept anything less than this. If your contract says Easy Touch he may issue a change order for Screen Logic.

My mother used to say never assume malice when ignorance or stupidity can explain the same behavior. I suspect your builder doesn't know much about Intellicenter other than he's heard the name. If this is correct he could have just gotten the wrong "I" word.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Note that the IntelliTouch is no bargain. I think you will be spending:
  • IntelliTouch load Center 521213 - $800
  • Pentair 521223 IntelliTouch i5+3S Automation Personality Kit - $520
  • ScreenLogic2 - $420
  • IC40 cell - $750
$2,490

Glad your PB is one of the good guys. :goodjob:

Let us know how you like the IntelliCenter.

Make sure he upgrades the firmware to the latest version (1.047). This fixes a lot of minor issues and the only remaining problem with remote setting of schedules. You're gonna really like the Intellicenter!

Chris

Make sure he upgrades the firmware to the latest version (1.047). This fixes a lot of minor issues and the only remaining problem with remote setting of schedules. You're gonna really like the Intellicenter!

Chris

I agree, you are going to like the Intellicenter, but would only suggest you upgrade the firmware yourself to 1.047, rather than the PB. Sounds like the PB is one of the good ones for sure, but maybe not so current with automation, so you will probably ending up doing it yourself anyway. Super easy to download the update to a thumb drive, then update the panel yourself. Mine took no time at all do download from a PC, then go to the panel, insert the USB, and go through the menus to update. I started with 1.047 so I didn't have any previous issues, but from what I've read, .47 is a good place to start.

I agree, you are going to like the Intellicenter, but would only suggest you upgrade the firmware yourself to 1.047, rather than the PB. Sounds like the PB is one of the good ones for sure, but maybe not so current with automation, so you will probably ending up doing it yourself anyway. Super easy to download the update to a thumb drive, then update the panel yourself. Mine took no time at all do download from a PC, then go to the panel, insert the USB, and go through the menus to update. I started with 1.047 so I didn't have any previous issues, but from what I've read, .47 is a good place to start.
Agree. I will do it myself.

So does the intellicenter connect to my house Wifi or smart phones? Or do I have to buy something additional for that?

The Intellicenter should come with a separate WiFi unit, so you can connect to your home WiFi. See this picture from early on in my build, you can see the white box to the right with antennas. You run an ethernet cable from the Intellicenter to the white box. This provides power and data.

IMG_5167 (2).jpg

You setup the Intellicenter from the panel to connect to your home WiFi. You setup a user ID from the panel. Then, you can connect to your Intellicenter through the app you would download from your phone. There is no add on needed to purchase like the old Screenlogic, all that is built into the Intellicenter.

You can also run an ethernet cable right from your home router (or switch if you have it) into the Intellicenter and not have to use the WiFi module. This is how I have mine setup now. See the grey conduit to the left, this is where the ethernet cable comes out of my house and into the panel. You can also see the blue wire which is a temporary connection until I finished wiring up the panel with the ethernet cable from inside the house. The only thing is to make sure to run the ethernet cable up into the "low voltage" side of the box. Inside the Intellicenter box, there is a separator between the high voltage (right side) and the low voltage (left side). The Pentair rep I had at my house told me that is the way it should be done.

1605629463795.png

PB upgrade vs OB firmware upgrade is a little tricky. Personally, I liked doing it myself as well but you can have startup issues and there's the risk PB blames them on your upgrade. It seems like new versions are now shipping with at least 1.040 and it is pretty easy to manage with that for a couple months then do the upgrade yourself. Do remember to download your configuration file after you get it running the way you want. Saves a lot of time if you ever have to do a factory reset.

I purchased a bundle that included the WiFi bundle as direct Ethernet to my router or cable modem is very difficult. It can be a little trickier to maintain but problems are usually with my network not the Intellicenter components. All brands have this trade off. In addition to the Ethernet cable there is the lightning exposure issue. A WiFi connection limits the connection for a lightning strike to damage things on both ends of the WiFi link.

I self-installed my Intellicenter after lightning took out my Jandy iAqualink system (also self-installed). And I did this knowing it was a brand new system that would have some normal start up issues. This was a little frustrating waiting for firmware updates but now this system is really fantastic. I'm so glad experts here guided my choice and the cost difference was very minor. Best $100 I've spent so far!

Chris

Update...
PB swapped the SuperFlo for the Intelliflo pump. I will say that is one smooth running pump. But I'm still waiting on the Intellicenter. He said that Pentair told him that they are a little behind right now. Not sure if that is true or what... He said it might be a week or two before it comes in. Not really a big deal because its winter and everything else is up and running. Been fighting the leaves the past week with all the wind we have had here in MD. Autocover is still a few weeks out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.