Intellicenter Automation and SR Smith Light Control

dw886

Gold Supporter
Sep 19, 2016
ND
Is there any interoperability between the Pentair lights / automation systems, and the SR Smith lights? Basically I'm trying to determine if the SR smith lights function the same way as the Pentair lights. Can the Intellicenter change the SR Smith light colors, or do the SR Smith lights require the ColorLux?

@dw886
My guess is that the SR Smith LED's are not compatible with the IntelliBrite color schemes and shows.

However, that being said... It appears that if one were using SR Smith LEDs along with the PoolLUX Premiere Lighting System, then color and light show capabilities would be vastly improved over the kludgy Pentair (and other manufactures) methods of color and light show control. Especially since with the PoolLUX Premiere, you get advanced options such as a "color wheel" (16 million color options) as well as dimming control (how cool is that?)

After looking through their brochure, I'm very intrigued. I would certainly like to learn more about this lighting system. Looks as though it sure beats the IntelliCenter pool lighting options. And you can still probably wire power for the PoolLUX, through one of the Pentair Power relays for on/off control and scheduling functions although my guess is that the scheduling functions that most likely come with the PooLUX Premiere probably beats the pants off IntelliCenter. Especially since the PoolLUX Premiere Sunset and Sunrise offset features probably actually work (imagine that :p)
SR Smith Pool Lighting Brochure.

Thanks
r.

Dw/Ron, I have the Treo lights in my pool but control them directly with my pool controller. The lights are very limited in capability. I believe the only thing that could be controlled by Intellicenter would be on/off…whatever light color/show was previously selected would then simply be turned onoff. For most models, changing light colors requires on/off sequences of the power…however with the Premiere using its proprietary remote, a color (one) can be directly selected without the on/off sequences.

There are two “shows”: one I call “Disco” is pretty much unusable…kinda like looking into a rapidly spinning disco mirror ball. The other “show” sequences through 6 or 7 set colors. I don’t believe there are any scheduling options with the Premiere, it simply allows an almost unlimited palette of colors, only one of which can be displayed at a time. It is unclear to me that the premiere even supports different colors on each of its ten circuits…I don’t think it does.

So bottom line…don’t lose your JR Smith remote (if your model came with one), because I believe the only thing intellicenter will control is on/off. But…these were perfect for my setup as they replaced my old FiberStars fiber optic “lights”.

edit: The way most users “control” these lights without a remote is to turn on/off power multiple times. Each time the power is cycled (if it done within a second or two), the color advances to the next “set” color or one of the two possible “shows”. If doing this with Intellicenter is possible (either manually or programmatically), then you COULD use Intellicenter to have rudimentary control of these lights.

Last edited:
@jonpcar
Hi Jon... Happy 4th to ya.
Yea, I agree that IntelliCenter can only turn On/Off the SR Smith lights and only to the setting that was last set..

I thought that I had seen where the Premier had mobile phone control (WiFi) but after re-looking, I guess not (shame). I was also looking at the FX Luminaire Luxor controller around the same time and must have got the two mixed up.
Yup, I now see the "only two" light show (slow/fast), with the Premier, so that's a second "sigh"...

Now, someone with your similar skill sets could probably do something like this. :p (I really found this interesting and the price is right as well if someone has the skill sets).

EDIT... In retrospect I chose to delete the direct link to the YouTube video coz I think I saw where those might be discouraged here if there is an advertisement embedded in the video (which there is but its just a sponsorship). So just chose to error on the side of good operating practice. Guess I'll try to ask about that later.
So, anyway just google or go on YouTube and search for "Build the BEST LED Pool/Spa Light, for $59!"

There is one member that I believe is going to try this and then try to use his landscape lighting FX Luminaire Luxor Controller in order to control this "MacGiver" LED pool light and then use it's (Luxor) scheduling and control features. I hope I can convince him to do a complete detailed write-up here once complete.
Thoughts?
r...

Last edited:
Reactions: Charelston40
Ron...happy 4th to you too! Yeah that video makes me want to try that...except that I have no light niche :(. The only thing that would fit in my deteriorated-fiber-optic-lights' casing were these SR Smith lights....which despite their limitations are a HUGE improvement from my previous "lights". I actually do like them.

This is the summer we get together!! I really want to check out your setup...No extended travel this year, but we are remodeling our cabin in Pinetop...so we'll be back and forth.

Ron...happy 4th to you too! Yeah that video makes me want to try that...except that I have no light niche :(. The only thing that would fit in my deteriorated-fiber-optic-lights' casing were these SR Smith lights....which despite their limitations are a HUGE improvement from my previous "lights". I actually do like them.

This is the summer we get together!! I really want to check out your setup...No extended travel this year, but we are remodeling our cabin in Pinetop...so we'll be back and forth.
Jon,
Understand about your light situation. Sounds like a very good compromise there.
Yea absolutely on the get together. Just shoot me a message over on the PM side when you're available and we'll get together and take a gander at the "Nuclear Control Center" :p
Ron...

Thanks Jon / Ron. This is basically what I thought. They're probably using a 4-wire SMD type LED setup, vs the Pentair power cycling. It is good to know however that it recalls whatever was last on, so if we do end up having to control the SR Smith lights, it'll just be set to the favorite and be on/off control only.

Reactions: MyAZPool
dw, SR Smith lights only have the two wires going to the LED. I looked into being able to control all those millions of colors with my controller and they have a patent where they modulate a high speed signal onto those wires to send any additional information down those wires with their Premier system. No way for me to duplicate without a LOT of work and a working Premier controller, darnit...haha.

But a caution, I don't know if the lights will retain a "Premier Setting"...one of the special colors....I only know for sure that it retains one of the six main colors or two "shows".

Reactions: MyAZPool
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.