Insulation and venting for an outdoor kitchen.

Azmp1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 20, 2012
Maryland
Hello all,

Ive started on the the outdoor kitchen build (here are some pics of where I’m so far) and one thing I still need to figure out is the heat insulation and venting. For venting I’m planning to install at least 2 sets of vents on each side of the kitchen, I think that should work ok, but the bigger question I have is the insulation for the grill and kamado cabinets.
should I get grill jackets? Should the cabinets that will house the grill and kamado, have walls, separating them from the rest of the internal space?

the kamado will sit in the corner module and the grill on the module to the left.

Attachments

• C728D070-5CE6-4CE1-BF25-3CFD9210B992.jpeg
    C728D070-5CE6-4CE1-BF25-3CFD9210B992.jpeg
    745 KB · Views: 46
  • 690B70C5-65C4-404B-9F21-F1A66832D3A4.jpeg
    690B70C5-65C4-404B-9F21-F1A66832D3A4.jpeg
    797.7 KB · Views: 45
Kamados, aka Big Green Egg, are pretty well insulated to begin with aren't they? I don't have one but last time I looked at one that a neighbor had there was ceramic stones all inside of the thing. Does the outside ever get really hot? As far as the regular grill most of the heat, if not all, goes up anyway right? I guess you could put in an airspace to dissipate the heat from the cabinets.

I have an egg. It gets hot. Hot enough to burn through non masonary I don’t know cause I haven’t done a cowboy cook yet but even at 250 outside gets hot. Green egg recommends typical grill spacing around wood and masonary.

what I did for insulation was where my grill sits. It’s built in I used metal studs which I have. The cabinet under my Weber is metal so good there. If I had a wood cabinet below thegrill I would use the insulation liner built ins have. Bit I have metal.

u already have all metal studs so u are good there.
For the egg I also have metal so if no wood around it u are fine.

I assume u are using cement board to wrap the kitchen and then using lick em and stick em stone? Cultured stone. I mean. Lol

bit I have to protect any wood. I have wood cabinets but they are away from my grill and egg. My egg also sits on a 3 inch piece of limestone and is surrounded by all masonary with wood framing so I’m also ok cause of the masonary.

vents. I’m a bad boy. I didn’t put any in for the grill. We can always pop out some masonary mud joints if need be.

EA7CB5F1-680B-438F-85A1-A6D7FADDAB3C.jpeg
This pic shows my grill area with metal studs and my nest area for the egg. As u can see no issues with heat. All masonary or metal studs.925E406B-EB88-444C-9B10-47F38473F082.jpeg

Kamados, aka Big Green Egg, are pretty well insulated to begin with aren't they? I don't have one but last time I looked at one that a neighbor had there was ceramic stones all inside of the thing. Does the outside ever get really hot? As far as the regular grill most of the heat, if not all, goes up anyway right? I guess you could put in an airspace to dissipate the heat from the cabinets.

Oh it sure does. I have a Kamado Joe and it can get pretty hot. For the grill, I am thinking on getting a grill blanket

I have an egg. It gets hot. Hot enough to burn through non masonary I don’t know cause I haven’t done a cowboy cook yet but even at 250 outside gets hot. Green egg recommends typical grill spacing around wood and masonary.

what I did for insulation was where my grill sits. It’s built in I used metal studs which I have. The cabinet under my Weber is metal so good there. If I had a wood cabinet below thegrill I would use the insulation liner built ins have. Bit I have metal.

u already have all metal studs so u are good there.
For the egg I also have metal so if no wood around it u are fine.

I assume u are using cement board to wrap the kitchen and then using lick em and stick em stone? Cultured stone. I mean. Lol

bit I have to protect any wood. I have wood cabinets but they are away from my grill and egg. My egg also sits on a 3 inch piece of limestone and is surrounded by all masonary with wood framing so I’m also ok cause of the masonary.

vents. I’m a bad boy. I didn’t put any in for the grill. We can always pop out some masonary mud joints if need be.

View attachment 149231
This pic shows my grill area with metal studs and my nest area for the egg. As u can see no issues with heat. All masonary or metal studs.View attachment 149232

Very nice construction you got there! Yes no wood or anything combustible at all. metal, durrock and stone, that's all it will be. Were I'm worried is that everything on the inside is still a one big open space, with no "walls" in between cabinets, im afraid it may still get too hot, as there will certainly be things stored in some of those and some of it will be combustable, not to mention propane tanks for the grill and the burner.
So what im thinking is walling off both grill cabinets and fireproofing them with foil type insulation, plus of course a good amount of venting. But wanted to get some more opinions on here from all those with the kitchens. Thank you for yours!

I know for my Weber if I was doing a tank vs gas it had to be located 2 feet away in a separated area.

look at cut sheets and install sheets for grill it should be there I would think.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.