Installing sod before plaster - bad idea?

MeeshFL

Aug 30, 2021
Tampa, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
I'm 14 months into my pool build and have lost patience with my builder. It's so bad, this builder's customers have an online support group. Some waited 5 months at this step. So I hired a sod company and fence company so I can reclaim my yard, thinking it would take a few weeks. The sod company wants to install in a few days. How stupid is it to install sod/fence before plaster? How much mess happens at that stage for a concrete/ gunnite pool? Fence will have a wide opening for a ride-on mower. TIA.

It really depends on your layout of the yard and the how far your deck may extend from the pool.
I had a full driveway for them to lay hoses and access the pool area. The pump truck was on the street and laid 100ft of hoses to the pool. The only damage was to the area behind the pool where they put the excess plaster into a makeshift basin. So maybe draw a layout of your pool and lawn showing relationships to each and path of hoses for the plaster would help determine where your new sod will or will not be damaged.

Reactions: MeeshFL
It really depends on your layout of the yard and the how far your deck may extend from the pool.
I had a full driveway for them to lay hoses and access the pool area. The pump truck was on the street and laid 100ft of hoses to the pool. The only damage was to the area behind the pool where they put the excess plaster into a makeshift basin. So maybe draw a layout of your pool and lawn showing relationships to each and path of hoses for the plaster would help determine where your new sod will or will not be damaged.
Thanks for sharing your experience! Making a layout is a good idea.
I advise customers to have plaster installed after the surrounding yard is completely finished. This will insure that no trade will fallow who can damage the newly applied plaster.
Nice photos! That is a great point. Our pool is surrounded by a paver deck and screened in. There's also a retaining wall because slope away is semi-steep. We plan mulch around the retaining wall and then grass. The hoses will have to lay on the sod.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.