Installing on a slope

eyedoc_01

May 30, 2020
Saint Louis MO
Hey all,

First time pool owners, installing a 27' Saltwater Aurora. Need help on how to deal with slope and water drainage.

Our yard had pretty steep drop of 2 feet or so from the back corner to where the pool base is going to be. In fact the pool area is over what used to be a problem low spot in the yard.. After some reading on the forum I got concerned about our sand washing out as drainage has been a constant problem. All the water comes from the back corner and ends up where the ditch witch is parked before going across our patio. It's a lot of water.

I leveled for the pool and ended up with a lot more dirt than I thought. My original plan was to use the fill to level down the slope to the base of the pool. Would have been about 30" over 20 feet. Then I was going to put a French drain around the hill side of the pool to carry the water away.

I could still do that, although I would have to get rid of a tremendous amount of dirt.

Plan B is to leave the dirt and put in a retaining wall around the hill side of the pool. The yard would have a gentle slope of about 4-6" from the back corner to the retaining wall, the wall would be 26" high at the top.

What do you all think the best long term plan is both functionally and cosmetically? Slope down to the base with French drain or retaining wall?

Attachments

• rsz_img_1120.jpg
    rsz_img_1120.jpg
    991.9 KB · Views: 40
  • rsz_img_1119.jpg
    rsz_img_1119.jpg
    885.1 KB · Views: 39
We had to raise ours due to low spot in yard and it's beautiful 3+yrs later!

Also here are bigger pools & retaining walls (done correctly) to support for safety: (not mine, just a web search)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.