Installing new seal plate, but ran into a problem with motor mount plate

Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
I was getting ready to change out my old seal plate and install a new one. Problem is...my motor mount plate threads are corroded away. I was able to get the bolts out, but after soaking/cleaning the threads with CLR, I realized the threads were basically corroded away (see red arrows). I think I can get the bolts through the holes and then threaded into the seal plate, but they won't be threaded through the motor mount holes (just pushed through). What should I do now? I looked around but couldn't fine a replacement motor mount plate plus it looks like I would have to take the whole motor apart to change out that plate. Do you guys think it would hold even the the threads are gone?

You don't think it would work if I just got the bolts through the motor mount plate and then threaded them into the seal plate grommets and tightened them up good?

- - - Updated - - -

Is there room to put a nut on the backside? That would be simplest.

Next up is a helicoil. The hole gets enlarged and rethreaded to a larger size and then an insert goes in, bringing it back to what it was.

The backside isn't open. It's enclosed into the seal plate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.