Allentown, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Hi! First time poster and new pool owner here. We had a gunite pool installed 4 weeks ago. It was a large-scale project with new patio, retaining walls, etc. Our PB presented us with several plaster options. We actually had no idea about a black pool but PB has a black pool and landscaper suggested it as well. We selected CrystalStone Onyx Pearl, this was discussed and reviewed several times. It was an up-charge that we were aware of. PB told us several times not to panic when the plaster was being installed as it will not be the “right color” immediately. We panicked anyway and sent pictures at install to the PB with no response. In the end, the PB accidentally communicated to the plaster company the wrong color. We now have a blue pool instead of black. Pretty sure it is the CrystalStone Midnight Blue - certainly a dark blue but not the color requested. We’ve discussed with the PB a variety of options - 1. Redo the plaster. PB wants to “refinish” the plaster. The tile markers on the steps would be lost in this process. 2. Leave it for a credit. We still owe the PB $12k.

Today, the PB provided a invoice for the total cost plus the up charge for the upgraded plaster option.

I have two concerns - the first being that a replastered pool will not look the same as a newly plastered pool. Any experience with relished plaster?
the second concern - if we do leave the wrong color and accept the credit - PB says we would still owe him for the upgraded plaster - since either color (right or wrong) was an upgrade. I disagree with paying him for the upgrade due to the above issue. Is that fair?

Thanks for any insight and reading to the end!

My questions for the group -

Sorry to hear of your problems.

I would not accept a second coat of plaster to fix the color of your pool. Your pool becomes like a 10+ year old pool witha second coat of plaster that could have bonding or delamination problems. When your pool needs a replaster in 10 to 20 years it will need a full chipout instead of a possible replaster over the original plaster.

I would tell the PB if he wants to fix the color he does a full chipout of the plaster down to the gunite and then properly installs the correct colored plaster.

Otherwise you will accept the blue color and expect him to waive the up[charge for the wrong color. If he does not agree to that you will see him in court and he can see what a judge in Small Claims Court decides.

Document everything in writing from here on. Keep all records and correspondence with the PB and maintain notes of your conversations with him. Put dates, times and names of all parties involved on all documents. Build your trail of evidence that you may submit to a court.

Sorry to hear of your problems.

I would not accept a second coat of plaster to fix the color of your pool. Your pool becomes like a 10+ year old pool witha second coat of plaster that could have bonding or delamination problems. When your pool needs a replaster in 10 to 20 years it will need a full chipout instead of a possible replaster over the original plaster.

I would tell the PB if he wants to fix the color he does a full chipout of the plaster down to the gunite and then properly installs the correct colored plaster.

Otherwise you will accept the blue color and expect him to waive the up[charge for the wrong color. If he does not agree to that you will see him in court and he can see what a judge in Small Claims Court decides.

Document everything in writing from here on. Keep all records and correspondence with the PB and maintain notes of your conversations with him. Put dates, times and names of all parties involved on all documents. Build your trail of evidence that you may submit to a court.
Thank you so much for the reply. I actually requested the full chip out and he said “ they don’t do that”….
I was starting to lose my mind thinking I was asking for too much so I appreciate your response and confidence to move forward with my expectations.

Thank you so much for the reply. I actually requested the full chip out and he said “ they don’t do that”….

That's ok, if they don't do that. Then you move on to get a credit or see them in Small Claims Court.

Tell him, and you don't pay for incorrect work.

Reactions: Kathsmail22
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.