Installa pentair intelliflo 011028 question about gas heater

Jsamuel88

Jul 20, 2020
Rapid City
Hello Everyone!
Getting ready to install a pentair intelliflo 011028 question about gas heater. Anyone know the flow rate needed to run the heater with out having the heat “start and stop”. I have a natural gas RayPak 156a.

J,

Heaters have a pressure switch... In my mind the best method is to turn the pump to the lowest RPM you plan to use and see if the heater works.. If not, keep increasing the speed about a 100 RPM at a time until the heater's pressure switch closes.. Then add a 100 or so RPMs and call that your "heater speed."

Is this a standalone pump/ or do you have automation? Does your pool has a saltwater chlorine generator (SWCG)??

The heater should be starting and stopping, unless the heater hits the temperature you set for it.. If you have enough RPMs to turn it on, it should be turning off..

Thanks,

Jim R.

J,

Heaters have a pressure switch... In my mind the best method is to turn the pump to the lowest RPM you plan to use and see if the heater works.. If not, keep increasing the speed about a 100 RPM at a time until the heater's pressure switch closes.. Then add a 100 or so RPMs and call that your "heater speed."

Is this a standalone pump/ or do you have automation? Does your pool has a saltwater chlorine generator (SWCG)??

The heater should be starting and stopping, unless the heater hits the temperature you set for it.. If you have enough RPMs to turn it on, it should be turning off..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim,
I am just installing this pump, I have just read that at if it is to low of an RPM the heater will keep “cycling on and off”. I would like to have it running at a constant rate to ensure the water temperature stays where I set it. It is stand alone and is not automated. No SWCG, just normal chlorine, added via tabs and liquid.

J,

Have you actually tried to run the heater yet? I am not sure about the "too low of an RPM theory", but if you find the heater is cycling, just adjust the RPMs up.

The IntelliFlo is a great pump by the way...

I have the older version 011018.. I don't have a heater and run mine most of the time at about 1200 RPM.. I suspect with a heater you will need to run at 1500 or more.. But that is just a guess as each pool's plumbing is different, that is why you need to experiment to see what works best for you..

I would not run less than a 1000 RPM as you really don't save much at that speed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I asked that question of Pentair tech support regarding their Mastertemp 400 gas heater. Here was the reply I received: "Hello William, this is Matthew with Pentair. I would recommend a minimum flow of 30 GPM for our heaters, 50-60 GPM is an ideal range for heating." As to flow rate vs RPM, that of course depends on several factors. My Intelliflo VSF 11056 will show flow rate on its display panel (but will not via the Intelliconnect app.) One time when I looked, the RPM was set at 2100 and that corresponded to 55 GPM at that particular moment in time and filter cleanliness status. There is a table in the back of the Intelliflo manual titled Pump Performance Curves that shows RPM and flow at various levels of "Dynamic Head in Feet of Water." Since I've forgotten most of what I learned while getting my PhD in Hydrodynamic Studies, I can't make head or tail of it. You might do better.

J,

Have you actually tried to run the heater yet? I am not sure about the "too low of an RPM theory", but if you find the heater is cycling, just adjust the RPMs up.

The IntelliFlo is a great pump by the way...

I have the older version 011018.. I don't have a heater and run mine most of the time at about 1200 RPM.. I suspect with a heater you will need to run at 1500 or more.. But that is just a guess as each pool's plumbing is different, that is why you need to experiment to see what works best for you..

I would not run less than a 1000 RPM as you really don't save much at that speed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

New pump is in and working beautifully. Unfortunately I have a “SW Rollout Switch 9370F3B8-16E5-4FBF-B3F2-1CC34D563080.jpegOpen”. Which I suspect happened before the install. The old pump was not working correctly and flow was slow and the old pump was so hot that you could not touch it. Do you think this could cause the switch trip? My burners are clean. See picture. Let me know what you think. I have a new thermo switch, have not installed it yet.

J,

I don't have much heater experience, but would assume that if the roll out safety is open then you will never get the heater to work..

I am assuming it never even fires up.. and not that the heater fires and then shut off with the roll out failure..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Just installed the thermo link, it is making a low growl noise at 1500rpm. If I increase it goes away. Around 2000rpm. Less but there 2200rpm, no noise. What does it mean. It’s like a metal winning noise, like something in the heat needs lube.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.