Install Day 1... to be continued...

BethyM

Jun 5, 2012
Today is our install, just got a call from the dealer that they are OUT of the pool we ordered :grrrr: So he asks, can you fit a 30' pool instead of a 27' one.... I've agreed to the 'upgrade'. I had already bought gorilla pad for the 27' so they are throwing in perfect bottom in exchange for my gorilla pad.

I had intended to put a 3' circle around the pool of rock so I already have a 33' circle painted... the question is...

* Is 3' preferred (meaning a 36' circle) or can I get away with 1.5'-2'? I've already got the landscape edge on hand, adding more isn't a huge deal but it will cost. I realize I got a nice upgrade for no more money but that my future costs of liner/etc have also gone up. I'm planning to have the installer excavate out to my landscape circle so let me know your thoughts -- do I need to bring it out some more?

* Should I expect the installer to charge me his 30' install price??? I totally forgot to ask the dealer and figure I'll ask the installer when he arrives. We're stretched at this point. I don't want to be unfair to the installer, but it's not my fault either! To be fair, he has the ability to do 2 installs today within a block of each other.

I guess I'll use this as my install thread and go ahead and post some prep pictures :) I know how far pictures go to happy posters around here :mrgreen:

Attachments

• 20120621_075520.jpg
    20120621_075520.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 764
  • 20120620_124005.jpg
    20120620_124005.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 763
Re: Pool change on install day -- need quick advice :)

I don't think the installer would charge any if much difference for a 30 instead of a 27... I would think a round is one price and an oval another, unless you are talking the smallest round vs. the largest.

As far as excavation for your landscaping, that is really a personal preference I believe. If you have a hearty grass or chance of nutgrass growing up to and through the liner the extra size might be a good thing. Also, we planted some landscaping around the pool in that area... so far 3 years and no ill effects from the plants being there and no roots imposing on the liner.

Suziqzer said:
I don't think the installer would charge any if much difference for a 30 instead of a 27... I would think a round is one price and an oval another

I believe this is correct and the only price difference is round vs oval and if they have to level more than 12"

I'm assuming the installer they use will operate similarly to the one who did ours even though they contract these guys and ours wasn't actually working for Atlantis.

Our rock around the pool is roughly 1.5' I think it's just the right amount, but a little smaller or larger wouldn't be a problem.

Do you have an electrician scheduled? (or is the equipment going somewhere not pictured)

Electrician comes tomorrow :) He didn't want to dig before pool and be in the way - we have to leave electric uncovered here until after inspection is complete.

More pictures :) My circle is coming together -- more grading.

Attachments

• 2012-06-21 10.23.38.jpg
    2012-06-21 10.23.38.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 717
  • 2012-06-21 09.48.26.jpg
    2012-06-21 09.48.26.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 717

Is is the same filter as you would have gotten with the smaller pool? You pool volume went up ~25% so it would be nice if the filter did as well (or more since so often filters are undersized for pool volume).

Yes, but I think it was heavily sized for the 27... It's a 26" 400 pound sand filter. Same one they would have sold with 30' Does it seem right? Oh, and pump is two speed. Speedo had same one and just runs it on low :)

Bethy or Speedo - could you please post the model number of the pump? I'm trying to decide on a combo unit or ordering a separate filter and pump.

Thanks

This is what I have from the dealer: Haven't gone out to compare to the one sitting in my yard :D

Pump: PM2201-6 -- 2hp 2speed pump
Filter: 522-5371-6MH -- 400lb 26" sand filter

Speedo has a 24' pool and a smaller sand filter I believe... This is a very large egg shaped one.

Attachments

• 2012-06-21 12.37.29.jpg
    2012-06-21 12.37.29.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 685

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

BethyM said:
Yes, but I think it was heavily sized for the 27... It's a 26" 400 pound sand filter. Same one they would have sold with 30' Does it seem right? Oh, and pump is two speed. Speedo had same one and just runs it on low :)
For your 21000 gallon pool, you would not want to go any less than that size filter...that is a 3.7 sq. ft. filter and our recommendation would be a 3.8 sq. ft. minimum, but your is close enough :goodjob: :)

linen said:
Is is the same filter as you would have gotten with the smaller pool? You pool volume went up ~25% so it would be nice if the filter did as well (or more since so often filters are undersized for pool volume).

Yikes! I agreed to 4000 more gallons of water :) We can fit it, and they always say get as big as you can fit... so I guess this is a good thing.

BethyM said:
Yikes! I agreed to 4000 more gallons of water :) We can fit it, and they always say get as big as you can fit... so I guess this is a good thing.
In general I would agree, but what that ignores is some of the equipment decisions that need to be made that can add significantly to the cost/complexity of the project. With that said, IMO, 27-30" round agp's are kind of the edge that going over requires also going to non agp equipment (and the cost goes up).

I hear ya. Hopefully this will work out in the end. I hate last minute changes. At least it's not a 33 like my neighbor, that thing is gorgeously huge!

Done for today.... :hammer:

Guess the extra time at the warehouse, extra sand, extra blocks, and fact that the installer was told this is at no additional cost to me means we'll finish up on Sunday...

The guy said this is the equipment they use on the ingrounds... he even went on to say the reason they are including these with all the pools is because they are out of the smaller ones. All I can say is that I'm really glad I already found out how to care for my own pool so that if I survive installation I can be free!

Attachments

• 20120621_145637.jpg
    20120621_145637.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 657

BethyM said:
The guy said this is the equipment they use on the ingrounds... he even went on to say the reason they are including these with all the pools is because they are out of the smaller ones.
Yeah, NO! That's the same one that came with my package. 2hp Waterway 2-speed.

linen said:
BethyM said:
The guy said this is the equipment they use on the ingrounds
Filter maybe, pump maybe not (agp are typically not self priming).
...He did mean the pump too! :hammer:
EDIT: or maybe they dig a hole for the equipment pad so it's lower than the pool! :blah:

BethyM said:
Guess the extra time at the warehouse, extra sand, extra blocks, and fact that the installer was told this is at no additional cost to me means we'll finish up on Sunday...
Meaning no work done tomorrow or Saturday? Or it will actually take them three full days!? :twisted:

Meaning he has another pool booked tomorrow and apparently isn't working on Saturday. It maybe old school, but I really hate having work done on Sundays... what do you do though? My kids birthday is Tuesday and he'd very much like to turn blue in my freezing pool.

Agreed on the pump/filter - the only part that maybe true is that they are putting the larger sand filter cause they are out of the 200lb.

I think the installer has a reasonable beef with the pool co. if his expenses were higher and he's not being compensated more. If they would have busted tail to get it done today, I would have included some money to cover materials. Hopefully the delay is because he's working it out with the pool co. and we'll be happy and swimming by this time next week :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.