jmb

May 26, 2011
Windsor Ontario Canada;SW Ontario near Detroit, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Having owned a pool for many years and having researched the many articles on this site I feel bit silly asking this basic question but I would like clarification regarding the level of Free Chlorine for daily maintenance with a CYA of 30. I have the CYA/Chlorine Chart and when looking at it again today I am wondering if we have keeping our chlorine levels a bit high. Is the following accurate?; is the SLAM level for chlorine with a reading of 30 CYA 4-6 ppm? and is 2 the minimum level of chlorine for every day maintenance?

Once the pool is balanced following SLAM and assuming the same CYA level of 30 (we use only 10.8 % liquid chlorine and do not use any other product for sanitizing ; i.e pucks , trichlor , etc) what should our ideal range be for every day maintenance? should we be using a range of 2-4 for everyday maintenance?

Our pool generally consumes about 3-4 ppm chlorine per day on average (a bit higher maybe 4-5 on very hot days or after a bad storm) . We have a Stenner Pump set up to deliver 1.34 Liters of 10.8 % liquid chlorine daily to deliver about 4 liters per day. Pool Math indicates this is adding 1 liter. will add .9 ppm of chlorine; 4 liters x.9 is a total of 3.6 ppm per day. This results in Free Chlorine level readings that range between 4-6.5 ppm .
With a CYA level of 30 should we be lowering our target range for maintenance to 2-4 or perhaps 3-5 ppm per day by lowering our daily addition of chlorine.
I understand this will change if the CYA changes but for the purposes of this example and to understand the math I would like to know the results for a CYA of 30 and will adjust accordingly as our CYA increases.

I do plan on increasing the CYA closer to 40 to help stabilize the daily amount of chlorine used. Last year we had good success with keeping the CYA closer to 30; but in all likelihood we may have had a reading closer to 40. I err on the side of caution with my CYA readings as I have had issues with too high a CYA in past years. We had very few issues the past few years year and only needed to make occasional minor adjustments for pH and alkalinity.

My current readings today when the chlorine would have been at its highest point were CYA 30; FC 6.5; CC 0; ph 7.5; TA 80; CH 150. We have a large inground vinyl pool that holds about 136,000 gallons of water.

Thank you for your suggestions.

is the SLAM level for chlorine with a reading of 30 CYA 4-6 ppm? and is 2 the minimum level of chlorine for every day maintenance?
No & yes. Ha. I see the confusion on that page. It looks like the numbers are under the SLAM column. But if you click on the SLAM tab you actually see the SLAM levels. Your ideal everyday range is 4-6.

If later you increase the CYA to 40, then your new ideal FC range would be 5-7, never below 3.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: jmb
Is the following accurate?; is the SLAM level for chlorine with a reading of 30 CYA 4-6 ppm? and is 2 the minimum level of chlorine for every day maintenance?
SLAM for 30 CYA is 12ppm. There is a SLAM tab on the FC/CYA Levels
what should our ideal range be for every day maintenance? should we be using a range of 2-4 for everyday maintenance?
4-6 is your target range. 2 is the edge is an algae bloom. Anything between the lower end of target and SLAM is safe to swim.

Reactions: jmb
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.