Input on advice from Jacks rep?

Dz7

In The Industry
Jun 20, 2016
Florida
I talked to a Jacks Magic rep the other day about a staining issue one of my customers was having and he told me something I never thought of, and wonder if there is truth to it.

I told him I was having the customer first check to see if the stain was organic by using a trichlor puck and he pretty much shut me down and said that isn't the correct way to test because the acidity of a trichlor puck can actually wear away some metal stains too.

He said the best way to test for organic stains is to put some cal-hypo in a sock instead and put that on the stain for a couple minutes. The cal-hypo, having a high pH, is a more trustworthy indicator according to him. What do you guys think?

JoyfulNoise

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
Yup. Trichlor is acidic and will lighten some metal stains. If you only have trichlor, then you should do two tests - one trichlor and then one vitamin c. If both lighten the stain then it's likely a metal. If trichlor lightens the stain and vit c does not, then it's likely organic. If neither lightens the stain then it's probably a darkened calcium scale from dirt incorporated into calcium scale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk