Innefective bleach?

May 23, 2009
I opened my pool on Saturday and it didn't take long to get everything balanced nicely:

FC 4
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 90
CH 260
CYA 45

Then, last night, I added 60oz of clorox which was the correct amount to keep my pool balanced all last summer.

This afternoon, I was down to 3 FC.

I'm using bleach that was left over since last fall and was stored in my garage. This is the same bleach that I used to open the pool.

Is it possible that the bleach is not working at full strength or could there be something wrong with the water that would require me to shock?

JasonLion said:
Chlorine gets consumed every day and needs to be constantly replenished.

You can use the Pool Calculator to figure out quantities.

I know that.

Last season, I would use 1/3 of a 182oz jug each night. That would keep my FC constant. This worked for the entire season.

This season, it's not.

Is it the old bleach or could it be something else?

Bleach does lose strength, especially if it is stored somewhere warm. If it is 6% bleach it shouldn't have lost too much strength. But stronger bleach would have lost a significant amount of strength.

Most likely you just need some extra chlorine to startup and won't continue to need extra bleach, but loss of strength is also possible especially if it was stronger than 6%.

Overnight FC loss was negligible if any.

My startup went extremely well this year so I was expecting to get right on the same schedule as last year. If extra chlorine is required at startup to get everything going, then that would be a reasonable explanation.

I'll test every night to figure out my daily consumption and adjust the amount of bleach that I use if necessary.

Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Large FC drop during the day

Here's my current test results:

FC 11
TC 11
PH 7.5
TA 90
CH 260
CYA 45

Last night, I shocked the pool to FC=20. This morning, I had FC=20. OCLT good.

During the day, I seem to have lost a lot of FC. What's going on?

Should I add more CYA? I think that I have another 2 lbs in a bucket which would bring it up to 60.

So, at some point it will level off? I would expect to see it at 8 tomorrow evening?

I'm wondering if I should bump my CYA up to 60 or 80 to minimize FC loss. I understand that I need to maintain a higher FC but that doesn't seem like a problem.

FC is 5 this evening. I added 60oz of bleach and I'll measure tomorrow evening.

I'm going to see if I can maintain my pool like last year. If my FC usage is more than 60oz per day, then I'm going to increase my CYA a bit to slow down consumption. I don't mind maintaining a higher FC level if my usage is going to decrease.

Re: Ineffective bleach?

So it was at 5 ppm and you added 60 oz of bleach or a little less than 2 ppm. And you measured 5 ppm again the next evening. So you're losing a little less than 2 ppm per day. I don't think you're going to get much better than that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.