Initial Fill After Liner Install - What Order Should I Balance Chemicals???

jobondur

Dec 13, 2009
Virginia Beach, VA
Just got a new liner installed yesterday, looks super nice. Currently filling the pool and have about 9 inches of water in the shallow end so I probably have another day or so of filling. My question is, what order should I add all the chemicals (including salt) to get the water balanced? The liner guy said that I need to give the pool a good shock prior to turning on the salt cell. He also said I need to add some chemicals to get rid of any phosphates in the fill water. What would be your order of operations for getting this up and running completely? Should I start adding salt now since I will have to add so much? Pool specs in my sig...

FYI - The pump and filter are up and running (through the main drain).

Thanks a ton.....and if anybody in the Hampton Roads area needs a referral, American Liners is a great company to work with. Got my liner installed about 2 weeks after I ordered it and did a great job. Tony's great to work with......

Take pool guys recommendation with a grain of salt... :p

30 ppm cya
3 ppm fc untill a few days for the cya to dissolve, then follow the fc/cya chart
Keep pH in the 7's, test ta to make sure it's not too low
Test fill water ch, only add ch if you get foaming or have a heater

Edit, Jim R.

Just tested water, results below. Level is still about 2 feet low, but want to start adding chemicals ASAP. I'll start dumping salt (a lot of salt) into the pool first and then work on CYA. Probably throw in some chlorine to keep the green away for the time being. What should I target for FC while I'm getting the chemicals right?

TA - 30
CH - 40
pH - 7.8
Everything else is 0

Just tested water, results below. Level is still about 2 feet low, but want to start adding chemicals ASAP. I'll start dumping salt (a lot of salt) into the pool first and then work on CYA. Probably throw in some chlorine to keep the green away for the time being. What should I target for FC while I'm getting the chemicals right?

TA - 30
CH - 40
pH - 7.8
Everything else is 0
3 FC goes with zero CYA. Expect it all to disappear in a couple hours. Don't sweat it. Just add 3 ppm every day until the CYA dissolves.

Take installer’s start up advice & follow it. Better yet hire him to do so & have a paper trail of additives on the invoice.

When you read the warranty package, you will want documentation that the chemistry was addressed by the installer.

After “break in” proceed & maintain in your preferred manner..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.