Inground winterized pool water level high

gevdog

Jun 7, 2018
Southern Ontario
Hello community!
I have had my 16x32 inground pool closed for the winter by a professional company. I have a safety cover (I think people call it an "elephant cover"?). It's permeable so it allows water to seep through it. The water was drained below the jets when it was closed, but over the course of the winter we have had some heavy snowfall as well as heavy precipitation. I can see the water level when I remove the skimmer lid, and it's getting rather high.
It's a vinyl liner with coping. Thankfully it doesn't appear we will get any more below freezing temperatures this year, but we are expected to get 35-45mm of rain tonight.
I was wondering if I should try and drain my pool a bit in case it overflows with the heavy rainfall. Since it's not supposed to freeze again, does it matter if the level gets too high?

You do want to keep a liner pool full if you have shallow ground water. Like a nearby lake, stream, etc. Or lots of rain. The liner can float and shift and then look not so good.

I would not let the water overflow the pool. I would be surprised if you do not have an overflow. Is there a hole in your skimmer at or above your water level?

Yes I have a small pump that I can attach a garden hose to. Should be able to fit it in the skimmer opening so I don't have to take the cover off. It won't be a fast drain though, but the water is still 2.5" below the top of the pool. Any ideas of how low I should drain it?

I would not drain much. The floating of the liner issue is real.

Take what rainfall is expected and drain no more than that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Typically when my pool is winterized i put water back in to bright it up to the skimmer just barely, then after the snow from winter goes away I check it, if its high I drain it down some, if not I'll just watch it if theres a lot of rain. How often you will need to check or drain it will depend on your areas snow and rainfall. I also like to keep the water up enough that my top step stays covered. One year I failed to do that and it got terribly stained, Had to do 2 treatments of stain remover to get it back looking good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.