Inground Winter Cover with Kids

Thurston

Bronze Supporter
May 19, 2017
RI
I'm considering a new pool cover this winter. The previous owner (I bought the house and pool this past spring) used a large tarp-like cover with water bags around the egdes to hold it in place. I had a heck of a time cleaning out all the leaves, muck and dirty water that collected on top of the cover and was dumped into the pool when it was opened.

I also have a 1 year old son and friends/relatives with kids that I want to protect from falling in the closed pool or accidentally running out on the cover in the snow when you can't see where the ground ends and the pool starts. I have a mesh kid fence around the pool but don't want to rely on it. If a child runs out on the tarp cover I'm afraid it could swallow them up.

So what is a good option for safety, low(er) maintenance from leaves and not super expensive? I'm thinking about a safety style cover liek this:

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Wave-Re..._n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin:6008890011

Would this work as a winter cover? Should I work with what I have already? Anything else I should consider?

I got mine with pool contract, it comes from a pool company that only sells wholesale, :( Sucks because they are only 2 miles from my house.

- - - Updated - - -

Hahaaaaaaa, I didn't see that at first. No I would never.:shock::shock:

Thurston:

I use my blower and send all the leaves to one corner (deep end) and pump the water off the steps in the shallow end. Makes life easier. All depends on what you are comfortable with and what safety concerns you have. If you continue to pump water off a solid tarp cover, leaves easily can be blown off into the grass and then picked up. You still will have leaves blow underneath the cover, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.