inground pool pump screeching on start

Jul 4, 2008
NJ USA
I have a Speck pool pump label reads Century Pool & Spa Motor , 1081/1563 pump Duty , it is 3/4 HP pump , which has started to screech on the start and at times during normal operation i hear it it also leaks a bit of water which i cannot see where it is coming from most likely from the bottom of it , question is What is my options repair it or get a new one the pump is 13 years old ,repair cost is minimum around $325 , pool is 18000+ gallons pump is 50 feet away from the inground pool . Any brand name and or type and HP , i think 3/4 HP is undersize for the work load, all recommendation is appreciated

I would think you have a bearing going out. Likely the front one and it might be the pumps seal that is the cause. If you know it's going to be at least the $325 to have the motor rebuilt and the pumps seal replaced I would think you'd be better off going with a new pump and motor, preferably a two speed or variable. It would save money in the long run. With a two speed or variable you could go bigger on HP and still run it on the lower setting to stir and filter to save money and then kick it up on high to vacuum. You'd need to make sure it's spinning fast enough to supply the minimum GPH your heater requires.

thank you I think I go for a new pump looked at some today at two pool places Hayward and Jacuzzi variable pump Hatward is 550 and Jacuzzi was 800 for 1.5 HP pump I got a 18000 Gallon pool 50 feet away fro the pool with 2 jets and one Sceemer , What is the proper size Pump I do have a sand filter

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.