Infinity edge with decking behind it

Redbayou

In The Industry
Dec 13, 2021
Louisiana
I am in the process of renovating a 15 year old pool. The homeowner would like one long wall of the pool to have an infinity edge with decking next to it. Any suggestions on how to construct a basin and have decking over it? Or possibly a trough that is plumbed to a remote basin?

If the edge is designed to run smoothly over the edge maybe you can design it like a knife edge pool leaving just a small sliver of an opening along the edge leading to catch basin

Attachments

• A8CC2072-1F39-41BC-85F5-2521B9AC5480.jpeg
    A8CC2072-1F39-41BC-85F5-2521B9AC5480.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 47
We're doing something similar to Oona's idea. Knife edge on 3 sides with infinity in the back between pool and a lake behind. I'm not sure how the deck over it your client wants is going to look - seems like it would detract from the infinity edge appearance unless you build it slightly below the edge and even then you'll need safety rails that will be visible if they want to walk on it. If you've never done an infinity edge I'd get an experienced engineer to help. IE look pretty simple but the hydraulics are not trivial. There are many ways to solve this and they all work but there's a lot of interaction between displacement from swimmers, basin volume, and pump/controls that needs to be considered. When you're adding to an existing pool a horizontal tank below the edge may be a better answer but definitely consult an engineer with demonstrated success for this type of design.

My $.02. Good luck and please do keep us posted!

Chris

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.