Inexperienced Pool Owner - Pool needs TLC.

PoolnoobAZ

Oct 8, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
I recently moved to AZ and purchased a home with a pool. The home and pool are fixer-uppers.

POOL SURFACE:
The pool had multiple cracks in the surface of the pool and the fake rocks around the edge of the pool. I drained the pool and am having it resurfaced/repaired now.

EQUIPMENT:
Pumps (one for pool, and another for water feature/ grotto)
  • The pump for the grotto was seized and wouldn't turn on. I removed the motor and took it to a pool store and bought a replacement motor and got it install. Now both of the pumps run!
Filter
  • Cartridge filter: The previous owner replaced the lid to the filter container with a larger lid, which means the cartridges do not seat correctly when the lid is closed, so they used a ratchet straps to hold the smaller filters down inside the larger container. ugh. I am now trying to figure out what filters I need to purchase to fit within the container.
Electrical
  • There is a timer toggle switch inside my junction box that's falling apart. I took it out to get the part number, but there's a warning on the back that it's for indoor use only so I need to find something else. There are two mechanical pool timers, but only one it currently connected to the pump for the pool. Can I remove the little nubs that determine when the pump is to turn on and off and just use the manual override to turn on the water feature when I want to use it?
  • Pool light. The cover of the pool lamp is loose (only being help to the wall with a single screw. It won't turn on but the GFCI outlook also seems to not be working so I'll replace that first and then investigate on the light.

There's my brief summary. I'm very new to this all and will be asking multiple questions in different sub-sections shortly. Thank you in advance to anyone who responds to any of my posts.

Thanks,

Welcome Pn !!!! Call inyopools about the filter. They’ll tell you yay/nay about the lid. You may need the correct lid and the proper filters to make it right. Or they’ll know what works. But definitely consider replacing the whole thing as replacing most of it won’t be cheap either, and possibly unsafe.

Regarding the timer nubs, yes removing the "on" or green block, will make it manual start and if you remove the off block you will have to manually stop it. Be sure the pump is only for a water feature and not your primary filter pump. You could remove this timer and install a swich and use that timer to replace the indoor model.
What are you using to clean the pool floor?

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Post some pictures of your equipment pad - and specifically of the filter... lid on and lid off.
Also fill out your signature with your pool, pool equipment (manufacturer and model numbers) and your test kit.

Have a look at:
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
FC/CYA Levels
Test Kits Compared

We can help with all things pool related.