Indoor Pool - Deal Breaker??

I have only skimmed this thread so I may have missed this....Do you want an indoor pool? Would you use it? An indoor pool comes with a significant price (workwise) and I would only consider it if you are willing to go back to someone else maintaining it in case your efforts get tedious.

So, yeah, it would be a deal breaker for me unless I REALLY wanted a pool.

Reactions: capt. evan
I have only skimmed this thread so I may have missed this....Do you want an indoor pool? Would you use it? An indoor pool comes with a significant price (workwise) and I would only consider it if you are willing to go back to someone else maintaining it in case your efforts get tedious.

So, yeah, it would be a deal breaker for me unless I REALLY wanted a pool.

Curious, do indoor pools require more work? I would think just the opposite?
I don't have one but times I wish mine were covered in a building

Thanks Rich. At least you are dealing with Michigan winters, although the Traverse City area is likely at least 10° colder . So you are keeping the pool at 89° even with it covered? It would be interesting to learn which is more efficient, the pool heating the room, or room heated by forced air and pool heat load reduced.

As you can imagine, things have changed a bit in priorities for right now, but this home purchase remains on the radar. I will post more details and pics when things get serious again, and I lose this cough! ;)

Dave, the pool was not on the priority list, but it may become the feature that gets our kids/g-kids & friends visiting more often in the winter. The prospective downside of contracting its maintenance/service is not unbearable. I just figure what else does an old fart do to occupy his time other than join forums?!?

Go for it, then. You certainly have found the correct forum to help you learn and manage EVERY aspect of that pool.

You'll need your own good test kit, learn how to test and what the results mean and STAY OUT OF THE POOL STORE.

Reactions: markayash
So you are keeping the pool at 89° even with it covered?
Yes, I keep the pool at 89° even when covered, but do turn it down if I go out of town. I use the pool six days a week while teaching swim lessons. (The lessons are the reason I bought the house.) I find that a warm temperature keeps my students comfortable during class, and keeps me comfortable for several hours while teaching. I have given lessons to three families who had their own indoor pools: one family installed an endless pool, one family bought a house with an endless pool, and a third family bought a home with a separate pool building that had a large pool with a deep end. None of the families ended up using their pools because they were too much work, too expensive, and the water chemistry was challenging. In contrast, I have given lessons to many families who own, use, and enjoy their outdoor pools. (I do know one family who filled in their outdoor pool.) I love all the use that I get out of my indoor pool, but I would say it is more work than my parents' outdoor pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Rich. What is your cover material, insulated?

My plan would be, when not using the pool for extended periods; 1.) cover it with an insulated material, 2.) shut down its heat, 3.) match room heat with best humidity control. I would figure out the warm-up time, and plan accordingly for guests. My thought is a colder un-used pool would mean less chemistry swings, with no direct sun and exterior influence.

Here is a pic of the pool in part. The lap portion goes under the bridge to the window, and back to the west for a total of 80 feet. So it is a fat "T" shape, making a simple cover anything but easy.

Thanks again for your replies.

Pool Looking East.png

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: Pv2 and carnivalday
@capt. evan - this pool looks so familar to me. Is this part of a retreat type place? With a big barn on site for meetings? I think I was here back in 2005 as part of an internship with a nonprofit when i was in college.

So beautiful! I love all the windows and light. It's a lot newer than my pool, so I would think that everything is much more up to date. If the home has had lots of visitors, perhaps the pool has gotten good use and there's been the opportunity to make sure everything works well. The owners could put you in touch with people who have helped them with maintenance or pool repairs. Those folks might know a lot about the pool, even if you're interested in embracing the TFP lifestyle and doing the work yourself.

My pool cover is a 16-mil solar blanket, which is like sturdy bubble wrap. There are way fancier choices for a pool cover, but it gets the job done. I had bad luck with the blankets I purchased locally, but my cover from In the Swim has lasted four years. An important feature of any cover is that it is easy enough to use that you actually use it.

The bridge over the pool reminds me of swimming in college! One of the 25-yard pools had two lanes that extended into a tunnel for 50-meter training and there was a bridge over those two lanes. I am a distance swimmer, so I spent a lot of time in that tunnel. The bridge in your picture is way more attractive, and I'm sure the extension isn't associated with long-course dread. I'm attaching a picture for reference.
IMG_8378.JPG

Yes, like a tunnel, and the other end is open high ceiling. I was thinking I could roll up the cover down at that end for the lap portion, then figure out something handy for the open pool part. Like you said, if it is easy, it will be both simple to open and close the pool for periods of no use.

I am a boat captain, so swimming of necessity means I have failed in my vocation. Long distance swimming means such personal failure occurred further offshore than desirable. o_O

• Haha
Reactions: Pv2 and kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.