Independent Pool heater pump run times

Jake7mm

Oct 4, 2021
Australia
Greetings.
I have just had a pool installed and have a question regarding the operation of the heater pump.
The heater unit has a separate pump and pipework installed, and appears the small pump is setup to run 24/7 and the heater unit comes on when required.
How do you normally run a setup like this? Running the 1hp 3 amp pump 24/7 will use more electricity than the heater unit itself. The heater is an inverter type.
Should I install a timer and turn off the pump at night? Therefore only letting the heating occur during daylight hours? Or is 24/7 recommended. Running cost of the pump being the main concern.

Thanks

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Southern OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-40
Welcome to TFP :)

Unless it is a VS pump I would not run a 1hp pump 24/7.. I did not run my 2 speed 1hp pump 24/7 on low.. The pump should only run when the heater runs, really you would like the pump to start and prime for a couple minutes then the heater can start, but you could start both at the same time and the heater will kick on when the flow meter kicks in.. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread