Increasing ph with returns

jimim

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
NE/Pa
Hi guys. I added some cya a day ago cause it went down cause I by mistake took 5 inches of water out of my pool vs 1 inch.

I’ll give everyone a minute to laugh.

Ok so I added the cya (2 lbs). It dropped my ph to 7.6. I want to get it back up to 7.8 cause my csi is now -.44. If I get back to 7.8 I’ll be at -.33 which I would assume is safe enough due to the fact my ph is in the tfp guidelines. My fc is 7.5 right now when I did tonight’s reading.

I turned my returns up last night so 24 hours later no increase.

I have 3 returns turned up with pump on 3000 rpm.

I read to increase ph when it is very low it will increase quicker than if u are already in the 7’s and want to increase it a little.

Was just looking for some advice.

Luckily I only threw off my cya and ch a little.

My advice is relax. CSI of -.44 vs. -.33 will make no differnce. Especially for a few weeks. The pH will rise naturally and the water will be warming up.

Ok cool. As you prob know by now I’m a worrier. It’s more because I’m riding that fringe of the -.3 already. Just don’t want to etch my plaster cause I ride in this negative range all season to prevent any scale in the pool or swg.

I don't know where you got -0.3 as any hard lower limit. Etching doesn't happen until CSI below -0.6 for many months. Scale should not happen if you maintain a negative CSI. So you have a pretty wide range to work with and short excursions lower are no big deal.

Warmer pool water will fix your CSI in a few weeks.

Jim,

My guess is that your pH will be back up to 7.8 by the time you read this.. :mrgreen:

I agree with Allen... Sit back and relax...

CSI between +.6 and -.6 is ok... it is just better to run between 0 and -.3...

Jim R.

My salt generator isn’t on yet so no it won’t be 7.8 yet. Lol. Once that goes back on I feel like the ph goes up hourly.

Ok thanks for the education. I appreciate all the help. I’m still learning here. I think I’m getting better at least.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.