Increasing ph with returns

jimim

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
NE/Pa
Hi guys. I added some cya a day ago cause it went down cause I by mistake took 5 inches of water out of my pool vs 1 inch.

I’ll give everyone a minute to laugh.

Ok so I added the cya (2 lbs). It dropped my ph to 7.6. I want to get it back up to 7.8 cause my csi is now -.44. If I get back to 7.8 I’ll be at -.33 which I would assume is safe enough due to the fact my ph is in the tfp guidelines. My fc is 7.5 right now when I did tonight’s reading.

I turned my returns up last night so 24 hours later no increase.

I have 3 returns turned up with pump on 3000 rpm.

I read to increase ph when it is very low it will increase quicker than if u are already in the 7’s and want to increase it a little.

Was just looking for some advice.

Luckily I only threw off my cya and ch a little.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
My advice is relax. CSI of -.44 vs. -.33 will make no differnce. Especially for a few weeks. The pH will rise naturally and the water will be warming up.

jimim

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
NE/Pa
Ok cool. As you prob know by now I’m a worrier. It’s more because I’m riding that fringe of the -.3 already. Just don’t want to etch my plaster cause I ride in this negative range all season to prevent any scale in the pool or swg.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
I don't know where you got -0.3 as any hard lower limit. Etching doesn't happen until CSI below -0.6 for many months. Scale should not happen if you maintain a negative CSI. So you have a pretty wide range to work with and short excursions lower are no big deal.

Warmer pool water will fix your CSI in a few weeks.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Jim,

My guess is that your pH will be back up to 7.8 by the time you read this.. :mrgreen:

I agree with Allen... Sit back and relax...

CSI between +.6 and -.6 is ok... it is just better to run between 0 and -.3...

Jim R.

jimim

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
NE/Pa
My salt generator isn’t on yet so no it won’t be 7.8 yet. Lol. Once that goes back on I feel like the ph goes up hourly.

Ok thanks for the education. I appreciate all the help. I’m still learning here. I think I’m getting better at least.