Increase CYA levels

Grayman43

May 19, 2019
Rockingham, NC
Hello, pool is looking pretty good but have A question about CYA levels. Here are current test results using Taylor K-2006c kit.

FC 4.0
Cc .05
Ph between 7.8 and 8.0
TA 70
CH 300
Cya just barely above 30

my question is Should I raise the CYA just a little more? What about the PH. A little high but dont want to mess with it too much since pool is very clear. Thanks in advance

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
A pH of 7.8 is fine, but if it looks like it's creeping up into the darker color of 8.0, it's time to bring it down slightly. That's for protection from scale. The FC/CYA balance is what's important for algae prevention and water clarity. As the summer approaches and sun angle gets higher, you'll need more CYA protection, a CYA of 40 or perhaps even 50. You are okay with a CYA of 30 for now if the FC is holding well in a 24 hr period.

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
Go ahead and raise your CYA to 40 if you want, using granular CYA in the sock method. Use PoolMath to determine how much to use...going from 30 to 40.

I wouldnt mess with your pH until it hits 8.0....then take it down slowly in increments with muriatic acid. Aim for 7.6 or so.

Maddie :flower:

Grayman43

May 19, 2019
Rockingham, NC
Thanks to both of you. I felt like CYA needed to be a tough higher FC has been tough to hold . I used sock method earlier that’s pretty cool idea