In pool Return diverter valve

Apr 13, 2019
I only have one return and one skimmer in a 20x40 70's hybrid pool. I was able to conjur up a way to get a 1 1/2 inch female threaded quick release connection on my not so standard return jet for hooking up poolskims and pool cooling sprinklers etc.
With only one return I'm wanting to be able to divert water like a 3-way valve (pretty bulky) to control on demand flow to my set of toys I hook up to my one return. Essentially I'm looking for a valve that leaks so I can allow all flow through or partial letting the rest of the pressure head out into the pool. Curious if they make a more streamlined/cheaper 3-way diverter or if you could mod a 2-way ball valve to do this by drilling holes but don't want to restrict any pump output pressure in the process. I appreciate the read and for any ideas.


TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 4, 2016
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Pool Size
Salt Water Generator
If it were mine, I'd use a tee and two cheapo PVC ball valves probably 1".

That's fairly small and cheap, then see how it goes. Out in full sun PVC ball valves jam up within a year, so keep that in mind.

You can also do a lot with garden irrigation stuff - worth a look.

Pool 3-way valves are available in smaller sizes than you typically see
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.