In middle of SLAMing and having problems

kjdo

Gold Supporter
Oct 3, 2012
Small Town Indiana
On Aug 17th I noticed the pool was cloudy. Full disclosure, I neglected the pool for 1-1.5 weeks. :( FC was zero, ph was 7.2, so after reading the SLAM procedure, I added liquid chlorine. Based on my CYA (40), I needed a Shock free chlorine level of 24. So I wanted to keep it above that. 12 gallons and the reading was 31. dropped 6 points in an hour. I cleaned it daily, back-washed daily, etc. Gradually adding less chlorine and then on the morning of the 20th, the level was 29, and the pool was "pretty clear". You know where I'm going with this.....I didn't reach the 3 endpoints, but I stopped checking and adding chlorine. August 21 at 10 am the fc level is 6 and the CC is 1. The FC level had dropped too rapidly. So I started all over. By now the pool is pretty clear but not CRYSTAL clear (which it normally is). I did the pool math. Based on the fc of 6 and the level I wanted, I added 4 gallons. The fc was 60. 7 hours later was 50. 20 hours later it is 38. CC is 0.5. So my plan was to continue checking two times per day and keep the FC level above 24. Can you think of anything I'm missing. I'd like to be done with this sometime this week. Feeling a little stressed with my pool. I just feel like the FC levels are still dropping too quickly to be this far into the process.

If your CYA is 40ppm, you should be SLAMming at FC of 16ppm (40% of CYA), not 24ppm.

Bringing the FC up to 60ppm is not only a big waste of chlorine, but extremely harsh on your pool surfaces and equipment.

What you are missing is following the SLAM procedure. If you had kept with the SLAM & not prematurely let your FC drop, you would probably be done by this weekend.

Its ok to dose a little high to make up for the anticipated FC drop between tests, but not 4X higher. If you are at a SLAM level of 16ppm, and you anticipate an 8-10ppm drop by all means dose to 24-26ppm, but not 60ppm.

Keep the filter running 24/7 & brush, brush, brush.

I didn't intend for the FC level to get up to 60. I was sad about the reading. I used the calculator entering current data and endpoint data. I added the oz. recommended. Maybe my reading of 6 was wrong? I was basing my FC shock level on the SWG chart (24 is the lowest one they mention). I didn't know it was a percent of the CYA. Maybe I overlooked that on the page. Anyway, it just seemed like it was taking too long and the chlorine level was still falling too fast. But, if you guys don't think it seems odd, I will stick with the plan. Thank you so much for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

This is my first SLAM, and I have a couple of questions. #1 - Automatic cover on or off during SLAM. My thought is ON to prevent Sun from eating up chlorine and to keep cover in contact with good chlorinated water to kill any bacteria/algae, etc. #2 - is it OK to pour at least some of the liquid chlorine into the skimmer? I thought a little might be OK to help clean out the sand filter. I knew chlorine wasn't good for the pool "parts". Just wondering about the consensus

Keep the cover off, please.....you need sunlight on that pool.

It probably won't hurt much for a one-time dose of chlorine but the point of the SLAM is not to clean your filter, it's to get the algae killed in your pool. Spend your chlorine on that and address the filter (if needed) in another project.

Here's my two cents. I'm in agreement with everyone above. Im new to pools but learning quickly. My first slam was in April, May and June (that's another story) While paying attention to pool school, expert advice, and the pool chemical calculator, I still believed more chlorine couldn't hurt. My slam didn't end any sooner than if I would have stayed at recommended levels. I used gallons and gallons of chlorine. And all the added chlorine dulled the bright blue of my brand new pool quite a bit.
The experts here will not steer you wrong. If the program isn't working in your pool, first verify you're following recommended procedures. If it's still not working the experts will give you advice specifically for your pool. Advice with outside the box thinking. I have discovered that to make the TFP/BBB system work in my pool I have to MMM....Maitain, maintain, maintain with regularity. Enjoy the learning experience. Enjoy your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.