In floor cleaning system

BOB1949

In The Industry
May 11, 2022
Las Vegas
I need to rebuild my caretaker 5 port valve. Been doing some checking and the A&A 5 port valve looks like it might be a better valve. I know I would have to do some plumbing, but that's not a problem. Anyone have a opinion on this or any other valve?

Thank for your help

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

In theory, the A&Avalve should work in place of the Caretaker valve.
  • The piping would need to be the same diameter.
  • The spacing between the pipes where they connect to the water distribution valve would need to be the same - or you would need to replumb all of them.
  • The number of ports/zones would need to be the same. A&A only makes 5 port and 6 portwater valves. How many working zones on your Caretaker system?

Have you considered the price of the repair vs. the price of a maytronic 200 robot? You can convert your infloor to floor returns without the mechanics inside the 5 port valve. You will see a substancial electrical bill savings.

Here’s a guy who did what you are talking about. 5-port caretaker > A&A 5 port

When they replaced my valve, the guy had a method that included a rubber mallet…he didn’t cut the old valve off at all. I didn’t see him do it but asked him about it afterwards. I think he used only up/down “whacks” but my valve is located pretty far off the ground. He simply “broke” all the pvc glue seals on the old valve and extracted it, and then cleaned up the pipes before he put the new valve on.

Gluing on the new one would be my biggest concern, 5 ports at the same time and none of them can leak.

You will see a substantial electrical bill savings.
I have an A&A IFCS. I'm running mine for two hours a day at 2,750rpms (using 1,033 watts). At $.13kwh, this cleaning cycle costs me about $8 per month. But, I guess spending $8 per month to clean a pool might be substantial to some folks.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.