In-floor cleaning system

oneatxpool

Aug 28, 2019
Austin TX
Hope this is the right forum for these... seems like otherwise it's mostly robots and suction thingies.

Our pool, in the dark ages of 3 years ago, seemed to use an Intermatic PE24VA valve actuator to automatically switch between the skimmer and the in-floor popups. While the cleaning system still works - popups work fine and have enough pressure - I have to manually switch off the pump either at the main panel or remote (hitting either Aux 2 or 3 button if they are lit up), toggle the little 3-position switch on the back of the Intermatic valve actuator, and then manually turn the pump back on. Then the valve actuator will switch positions to opposite it was before. I've tried lots of variations of schedules and actuators switch settings, but nothing seems to restore the automatic nature of the thing.

As far as I can tell I have good schedule programming on the controller for running the cleaning system overnight, vs. highspeed on the pump during the day. But I may not.

Can anyone verify I'm not misremembering how this thing apparently used to work, e.g., automatically switching between pool/skimmer and cleaning system?

As mentioned, the intermatic actuator has a 3-position switch.
Auto 1 (or maybe 0): Top position
Off: Middle
Auto 2 (or maybe 1): Bottom.

Any thoughts?

Pool:
18K gal, saltwater, pentair gear including 5K42 control panel and easytouch remote panel, FNS plus filter, Intellichlor chlorine generator, Intelliflo pump. Also, in-floor cleaning jets.

It sounds to me like your ET is not programmed properly to turn the valve as desired. Do you know what Aux circuit the valve is set to?

@Jimrahbe @JamesW can help with ET setup better then I can.

Reactions: oneatxpool
Sounds to me like your actuator is bad... This is a pretty typical problem with other actuators when a micro switch inside the actuator goes out..

I assume the Intermatic actuators operate the same way, but do not know for sure...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Since the little three position switch works, I would think that it's a programming issue.

I would think that the cleaner would be on a "Feature" circuit.

Feature Circuits Menu:
There are two Feature Circuits that can be used to control IntelliFlo® Pump speeds or valves actuators for a spa spillway.
Unlike an auxiliary relay circuit, a “Feature” circuit does not connect directly to a relay.
“Feature” circuits are turned on and off from the control panel “Feature” circuit menu.
Feature Circuits
MENU > F. CIRCUITS
To switch a feature circuit ON or OFF:

I would assume that the valve is connected to valve B and that valve B is assigned to a feature circuit and the feature circuit should be on a schedule.

Last edited:
One,

I may have read your original post wrong, so tell me what happens when you move the little toggle switch... If the switch is in the auto 1 position and you move it to the auto 2 position, does the valve move to the opposite end? Once the valve has fully moved, if you move the switch back to Auto 1 does the valve move back to the original position?

Do you have ScreenLogic??

Thanks,

Jim R.

You know, I actually wrote that post about 2 months ago and posted it on another forum and got no responses. So copied it here.

2 months ago, yes, I could move the small switch between 1 and 2 and it would move the actuator back and forth IF the pump wasn't running. I tried to switch it again today - pool floor is getting grody, including a dead tarantula - and the toggle switch seems not to do anything now.

We do not have ScreenLogic, sadly.

Having an EasyTouch without ScreenLogic is like having a horse without a saddle... :mrgreen:

When the microswitches go bad, they are intermittent at first, so sometimes they works and sometimes they don't...

If you have two valves, and one works and one does not, as a test you can swap the cables on the back of the main board in the EasyTouch.. If the same valve will not move, it is a bad valve acatuator or cable.. If the opposite valve won't move, it is a bad EasyTouch...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.