In Dichlor-Bleach Hot Tub, are weekly chlorine shocks necessary?

As part of weekly or monthly maintenance in a dichlor-then-bleach hot tub, are chlorine shocks necessary (12-13ppm FC, 30ppm CYA)? Or is it just in response to problems (cloudiness, odor, foaming, etc.)? Just getting over some hot tub rash, so I want to make sure I'm dotting every "i".

Last edited:

Mdragger88

Bronze Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Hernando, Ms
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
If fc goes to zero or close throw in enough bleach to reach shock level for your cya. I do the same after heavy bather loads etc. Doing it on a weekly schedule won’t really be very effective. You need to test then add the bleach it needs whenever that is.

Reactions: jseyfert3

Mdragger88

Bronze Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Hernando, Ms
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Also i hope you have done a proper ahhsome purge, flush & refill since your rash experience.
The bacteria that causes that takes refuge in accumulated biofilms that are resistant to chlorine/ oxidizers alone.

Also i hope you have done a proper ahhsome purge, flush & refill since your rash experience.
The bacteria that causes that takes refuge in accumulated biofilms that are resistant to chlorine/ oxidizers alone.

I did, thanks -- we're refilling today. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong by doing daily FC maintenance only, instead of daily plus periodic shock.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.