Impact of water temperature on balance?

bjc123

Jun 30, 2016
Germantown, TN
As I am about to refill my pool and I'm using PoolMath to figure out how to get as close to 0 as possible on CSI, I started playing around with the water temperature values to simulate my conditions here and I have noticed some pretty decent fluctuations from one extreme to the other. Admittedly, last year I really didn't factor water temperature into my balancing. I just tried to keep the numbers within the goal values and everything looked good.

Long term, how much should I truly take water temperature into account?

Water temp is more important when it is warmer. Things slow down when it is cooler and it becomes less important. But, my first winter with the pool the CH was low and the plaster/pebblesheen etched pretty significantly. Now, it is etched forever. It is pretty important to maintain water balance at all times as long term consequences are sigificant. It doesn't take a lot of time or effort, just some diligence maintaining pH and TA. I definitely make an effort to keep my CSI between -0.3 and 0 to prevent scale from rising pH and TA both in my pool and my SWG cell. My SWG cell hasn't needed cleaning in over 5 pool seasons. It should be a bit easier for you because you won't have the upward pressure from the SWG aerating the water. And you can extend your target out as much as -0.6 to +0.6 depending in how your fill water is and how your pool behaves.

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

I purchased an electronic pH tester from TF Test Kits, as I have trouble with the colors on my Taylor test. I've played around with the temp and the balance on the calculator and it's in the range you mentioned. I'll keep my eye on it as I fill it up/balance and I'll try not to be so OCD about it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.