Impact of salty water in bleach-only pool

My chlorine consumption does increase during the hottest days of summer but indeed 2 to 4 is the average when I stay on top of CYA and pH depending on temp and cloud coverage. I do not cover the pool but have a large tree shading it part of the afternoon.

I did not expect so many of you promoting SWCGs. I haven't done my research but this gentleman (Swimming pool control with Linux) seems to have: seeing his 2008 and 2009 updates under "Installing an Electronic Chlorine Generator (Salt Generator)" gives me pause as a Hayward SWCG failure would basically cancel any benefits, not to mention the structural damage he talks about due to salt. Myth or not, I would welcome pointers to serious research into the matter.
His experience is really old. The systems and knowledge that we now have obviates the majority of the complexity and problems he faced.

Maybe start HERE.

There are some really good and reliable SWG solutions available to manage your pool. I'm sure more will weigh in...

My chlorine consumption does increase during the hottest days of summer but indeed 2 to 4 is the average when I stay on top of CYA and pH depending on temp and cloud coverage. I do not cover the pool but have a large tree shading it part of the afternoon.

I did not expect so many of you promoting SWCGs. I haven't done my research but this gentleman (Swimming pool control with Linux) seems to have: seeing his 2008 and 2009 updates under "Installing an Electronic Chlorine Generator (Salt Generator)" gives me pause as a Hayward SWCG failure would basically cancel any benefits, not to mention the structural damage he talks about due to salt. Myth or not, I would welcome pointers to serious research into the matter.

His experience with the Hayward SWCG is different than mine. I don’t like that he repeats myths (basically, using a SWCG will destroy your pool 🙄). There’s a number of other things wrong in his article as well.

Our pool, installed in 2004, has had a Goldline (Hayward) Aqua Rite since day one. We get about 7 years out of a T15 cell (using genuine cells, not aftermarket), and the main board was replaced in 2009 (still had some warranty left; no problem with the warranty being honored). The flow sensor was replaced a couple years ago. After all these years there is no sign of damage to anything due to the SWCG/salt. The ladder in the deep end is original with absolutely no salt corrosion.

In terms of cost compared to using liquid chlorine, it really depends on how cheap liquid chlorine is in one’s area. In our area, it tends to be more expensive. Last year I did a quick calculation to see if we are saving anything. In our case, the SWCG has saved a bit of money over using liquid chlorine. Even if it didn’t and cost more, the convenience alone makes it worth it, IMHO.

Personally, I wouldn’t have a pool without a SWCG.

Salt accumulation due to using chlorine is no different than salt in the pool for swg use.
Short of stainless steel, any exposed metal will rust or breakdown regardless when exposed to the elements.

I did not expect so many of you promoting SWCGs. I haven't done my research but this gentleman seems to have: seeing his 2008 and 2009 updates under "Installing an Electronic Chlorine Generator (Salt Generator)" gives me pause as a Hayward SWCG failure would basically cancel any benefits, not to mention the structural damage he talks about due to salt. Myth or not, I would welcome pointers to serious research into the matter.

So you'll listen to one guy with outdated misinformation instead of the thousands here who use Salt Water Chlorine Generators with nary a problem???

Ok.

Salt is salt whether it's from liquid chlorine or bags of salt dumped into the water. As was said before many many of us have salt water generator pools (SWCG) and zero nada corrosion. If you were to have corrosion form a salt cell you would've had it by now with the high salt content anyhow. The only thing I can promise is that you'll have more time to enjoy with less hassle hands down. Run your pool the TFP way and you won't be second guessing others nonsense.

Reactions: Bperry
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.