Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
A friend had a round BBQ grill grate fall into his pool over the winter (undetected) and it has left a nice 24" round imprint of the grate on his pool floor in the form of an iron/rust stain.

I suggested some vitamin C to see what affect it would have. He reported that, held onto the stain for more than 3 minutes, the Vitamin C had no affect whatsover....Nada.

I am at a loss as to what to suggest next.....any ideas?

Butterfly

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 30, 2007
South Carolina
What is the pool surface?

Is he using one Vit C tablet or some crushed? If he is using the (more expensive?) Vit C tab with the slick outer coating, it may take longer to dissolve/have an effect.

I read about the slick outer coating in one of geekgranny=alice's posts and it does make sense. :wink:

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
I'm sorry, it's a vinyl pool.

Steve told me he crushed up half a bottle of tabs and the whole bottle was only $3.00.........sounds like the cheap ones but I'll confirm about the coating.

What surprised me most was he said it had NO visible effect. I have used tabs to remove rusty nails stains and it was about 85-90-% effective so I fully expected these to make SOME difference. I am stumped.

JohnT

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
Dave, I dropped a fender washer off my dive stand in the pool last fall, and didn't notice it for a couple of weeks. Left a big stain. I took a 2" PVC coupling and placed it over the stain and dropped the Vitamin C tabs into the coupling. Gone the next day. For a larger stain, the coupling could be moved as the stain faded.

geekgranny

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 20, 2009
North Central Texas
Butterfly said:
What is the pool surface?

Is he using one Vit C tablet or some crushed? If he is using the (more expensive?) Vit C tab with the slick outer coating, it may take longer to dissolve/have an effect.

I read about the slick outer coating in one of geekgranny=alice's posts and it does make sense. :wink:
I just looked in cabinet. The C tabs I'm talking about are "Ester C" "non-acidic stomach friendly" "coated tablets".

No wonder they didn't do anything to the stain being "non-acidic stomach friendly". :lol:

Our Vet wanted us to give these to the puppies. DH studies up on them and decided we needed to be taking Ester C too.

gg=alice

257WbyMag

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Feb 23, 2008
Denton, TX
You know it's a metal stain. That's a given. That being said, I would still try the vitamin C thing. I would either use industrial grade AA or I would find the cheapest most non-coated, hardest on the stomach, Vitamin C tabs that I could find, crush them up, and reapply.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Yeah, I think to retry with a stronger, longer concentration may be worth it.

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
A BBQ grill grate might have also have a fair bit of grease and ash on it, which could also be involved in the mark. I would try a magic eraser to see if it has any effect.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Steve says the grate was used for a different purpose than grilling so no grease on it. He is thinking about more vitamin C in a sock but this time using a weight to hold it on the stain for perhaps overnight. I have no knowledge that that will be harmful.....any opinions?

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
MITS,

That's a great thread and totally applicable. I have forwarded it to my friend.

He and I have played volleyball for years. He knew I was somehow involved with pools so he asked me how to get this stain out of his pool and I said, "Try Vitamin C tablets". Here was his look........ :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

It was identical to the reaction I get when they ask at the grocery store what all the bleach is for?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: