I'm the Pool Guy Now - Looking for Liq CL in the West Hou Area

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to All,

Well, thanks to you guys, I decided to let the pool guy go. So I need some chemicals please and was looking for the best options near West Houston.

Can someone pls provide a place in the West Houston Area [or close to it] for 10-12% concentrated bleach and 30-32% muratic acid? I've read a couple older posts on how liquid Chlorine degrades pretty quickly, so whatever $/gal is the best to go, that would be appreciated. ChemGeek points out highest concentration per dollar is not the way to go if you do not use it soon. Assuming Muratic Acid holds its "bang" a little longer if stored properly.

Thank you and pls advise on place, products and types? I already have the TF-100 test kit w stir-stick. My FC is approx. 3-4 and pH is 7.3....

Thanks again,
tstex

Lowes is my go to place for acid. Look in the paint section. They sell both the low % (green label) and the good stuff (blue label).

Once you move to 10-12% chlorinating liquid you are now stuck with pool stores and some industrial suppliers, like janitorial places.

Remember to look a the big picture when comparing prices. Many times the savings on 10-12% chlorinating liquid is not so great once you figure in special trips and going out of your way. I'll leave it up top the Houston folks to give you options, but I just decided that buying 8.5% bleach at Dollar General ($2.95 for 121 oz bottle) that I drive past every day works out better.

Thx Tim & thx Tx Splash. Good info

I've already started using Lowes for the blue label acid & get the 2-paks. What % is the bravo blch from HEB?

I agree on convenice & best overall $/gal.

Thx again,
Tstex

Is the std or lowest bleach percent a 6.25-6.50% ?
Whatever the run-of-the-mill Clorox bleach is, when I added this, it started to create a lot of bubbles. Does the HEB or Dollar Gen also create suds? I'm sure this is some type of agent in the bleach like a soap to soften the hypochlorite acid hit.

Thanks & thx on the Borax lead too-tstex

Is the std or lowest bleach percent a 6.25-6.50% ?
Whatever the run-of-the-mill Clorox bleach is, when I added this, it started to create a lot of bubbles. Does the HEB or Dollar Gen also create suds?
Just make sure that it is not splashless. That is the common thing that happens and the suds will go away. Bleach is a trade name so it can be anywhere from 1% or less prediluted cleaning supply up to the now standard 8.25% laundry bleach. Sodium Hypo the active ingredient can be found up to 15%. Over that and it's unstable and degrades too fast. Maybe someone will chime in with the link for the calculator to determine cost per oz of active ingredient. I am at another computer right now or I would. Watch out for HEB's sales. They sometimes have bleach for $1.00. The % is not listed on the bottle but the MSDS shows it at 3%. Most of the ones from the Houston area are getting refills of 12.5% around Southeast Houston. Might not be worth the drive. It's not for me at 90 miles. For the jug haulers, Walmart and Target have the best turnover. Bleach is expensive to ship so most regardless of brand label is manufactured at only a handful of plants. I think Texas has two. That stamp on the bottles is the Julian date code. It should be something like year, day of year, time 24h, production line, plant number code. Your acid you will need to shop around. The box stores have both the full strength and "fake" safer stuff. My local lowes and HD have it in the pool section. It's cheaper from the paint section and the same stuff made by crown. My local pool store that starts with L has it the cheapest in the two gal box. Have fun learning and ask questions, that's what this forum is for.

Thanks Buckeye...The calculator helps to really net it out..I also read all the FAQ...great info there too. There should not be a problem adding liq CL most of the time. When family travels, I'll add the pucks & bring up the CYA level when needed, or just use the pucks intermittently..at 2PPM/puck, it can be monitored fairly easily.

I'll post back which route I'm going on the Liq CL & post back the results.

Thanks again to all,
Tstex

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.