I'm still here :/

I started SLAM last week not realizing how many leaves were on bottom of pool (too cloudy too see very far down) :/ I had cya at 30 before the process. The last two days I've spent time using the leaf rake and doing bypass to waste and vacuuming it out. Im sure I don't have it all but I made a big dent and hoping my slam will work better now.

New readings this morning show CYA of like 20 or less?? Is the reading off because of trying the slam last week? It's been two weeks since I started the cya and I added it according to the pool calculator so why would it all be gone?

PH was 7.2 this morning
TA 114

FC 0

I

Could do, but the CYA test also has +/- 10-15 margin for error. Are you reading the test in full sunlight with your back to the sun, waist height, preferably at the same time of day- all these things can affect your reading if they are not done consistently.

Vacuum to waste might lower CYA slightly. Other factors skewing your test results might include inadequate (bright) sunlight when looking down the viewing tube at the black dot, water not too chilly, and of course the +/- 15 testing variance just because it is a tricky test to do at times.

One thing for sure though ..... with an FC of zero and some debris still in the pool, your water could be much more aggressive than you think. Not a good combination, so I would really encourage you to remove as much debris as possible.

Before you add any more stabilizer, I would recommend:
** Increase FC to "10" and retest in 10 minutes. Did it hold between 6-10? If not, repeat and keep doing the 10-min drill to retest/increase FC to 10.
** Once you get the FC to hold for at least 10 minutes between 6-10, then you should be in the clear to add stabilizer back to 30 and start the official SLAM process.

Hope that helps.

Vacuum to waste might lower CYA slightly. Other factors skewing your test results might include inadequate (bright) sunlight when looking down the viewing tube at the black dot, water not too chilly, and of course the +/- 15 testing variance just because it is a tricky test to do at times.

One thing for sure though ..... with an FC of zero and some debris still in the pool, your water could be much more aggressive than you think. Not a good combination, so I would really encourage you to remove as much debris as possible.

Before you add any more stabilizer, I would recommend:
** Increase FC to "10" and retest in 10 minutes. Did it hold between 6-10? If not, repeat and keep doing the 10-min drill to retest/increase FC to 10.
** Once you get the FC to hold for at least 10 minutes between 6-10, then you should be in the clear to add stabilizer back to 30 and start the official SLAM process.

Hope that helps.
OK so when increasing the FC how do I get it to hold between 6 to 10? Just keep adding until it stays ? I've spent two hours so far getting out debris and I feel like I have gotten most of it but without being able to see the bottom it's hard to tell and sometimes I find a new pile.

I retested cya and got less than 20 again. So how do I know how much to add? Originally I was at 0 so added by poundage

OK so when increasing the FC how do I get it to hold between 6 to 10? Just keep adding until it stays ? I've spent two hours so far getting out debris and I feel like I have gotten most of it but without being able to see the bottom it's hard to tell and sometimes I find a new pile.

I retested cya and got less than 20 again. So how do I know how much to add? Originally I was at 0 so added by poundage

Yes keep adding and testing every 10 minutes or so. You say the water is cloudy - is it green?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm quite positive the pool is 21000 gallons per the calculator and who we bought it from. My cya was correct last week but is now low. Not trying to be a downer Lol just can't figure this out. Just rechecked aND was 7 do added another galling so now have put 9 gallons in in an hour

So the adding chlorine and checking every 10 minutes didn't work because I couldn't get chlorine above 7 or so with checking and adding every 10 minutes but now after sitting over night my FC is 20 and I only needed to be at 12. It hasn't changed color much at all. No reason to add anything else at this point correct ? Just keep FC above 12?

Is your CYA still under 30? If so, you should bring that back up to 30. Since you don't know exactly how much below 30 you are, just add enough to raise it by 10. Wait a few days and test. Keep doing that until you hit 30.

While doing that, keep pool at SLAM level until your CC is less than 0.5, your OCLT is less than 1 and your pool is clear. Once you pass the test, you can bring FC down to normal range. Once it drops below 10, you can retest PH and make necessary adjustments. Also, after the SLAM you may want to continue to bring CYA level up to 40-50 depending on how much sun your pool gets during the day.

Is your CYA still under 30? If so, you should bring that back up to 30. Since you don't know exactly how much below 30 you are, just add enough to raise it by 10. Wait a few days and test. Keep doing that until you hit 30.

While doing that, keep pool at SLAM level until your CC is less than 0.5, your OCLT is less than 1 and your pool is clear. Once you pass the test, you can bring FC down to normal range. Once it drops below 10, you can retest PH and make necessary adjustments. Also, after the SLAM you may want to continue to bring CYA level up to 40-50 depending on how much sun your pool gets during the day.

Well I added cya last night can I test already and get an accurate result ? My FC is 17 and haven't put chlorine in since last night when I apparently put in way too much. I also added water yesterday morning so it's possible my pH is not as low as it was can I test that now or will it be incorrect since the FC is so high ?

The pool is still very green (not even turquoise like it had been) is there a way to add a picture here ?

You don't need to test CYA for a few days after adding. It takes a while to fully dissolve in pool. Just assume that it's there and use your anticipated CYA for your chlorine level.

PH test will not be reliable until your FC is below 10.

You don't need to test CYA for a few days after adding. It takes a while to fully dissolve in pool. Just assume that it's there and use your anticipated CYA for your chlorine level.

PH test will not be reliable until your FC is below 10.

Thank you. If you lived near Dayton Ohio I would just pay you to come do this haha. So frustrating I feel like we are forever running into new problems ! I'm still getting some leaves from bottom of pool even after hours of raking but the pool is 21 ft by 42 ft and I can't see the bottom so hard to tell where is clean and where isn't. If I can get it clear enough to see it would be much easier

Just wanted to confirm that you have read and are following the document for a SLAM -- Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

It is imperative to keep your FC above the shock level based on the FC/CYA chart -- Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

You may have to test and add bleach every two hours or so during the start of this process.

Also -- keep your pump running at all times during the process.

Your signature is no longer showing so if you can check that out it would be helpful.

Good Luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.