I'm Running Slightly Outside The TFP Water Balance Guidelines

mmcwhorter

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 13, 2015
Huntingtown, MD
I guess every pool is a bit of a different situation.

last test
FC 5.5
CC= 0
ph = 7.6
CYA 50
CH =450
Salt 3200

I have found that when I run my salt pool at TA =90...I have a higher acid demand than TA = 110. At 90, which is the acceptable high limit...my pH bounces up to 8.0 or higher (purple color) often/weekly and I am using more acid. Learning on TFP that TA is a pH buffer...I tried an experiment bumping the TA up to 110....and it seems to keep the pH more stable. Since I am a Test Engineer, I am always finding something to run a test on...LOL.

Also, after two seasons of SLAM at early spring opening....with CYA at 20-30.....I bump my CYA up to 50 and the IC40 seems to be just fine keeping the FC around 5.5-7.0, 40%, running 9 hours per day (3x 3 hours per time zone). The recommended CYA level for SWG Pool is 70-80. The first year I ran CYA at 50 was because I ran out of Stabilizer and never had time to go get more (or really forgot)....and realized at CYA=50 things looked really good for the whole season.

I have an IC40 SWG running at 40-60%. After SLAM this year with cooler than normal spring temps all the way up to June 10....the FC level stayed above 10 for longer than I expected. I actually had to set the IC40 to 0% for a few days to get the FC to drop. FC is now down to normal levels... the last test around 5.5. The pool looks great. My Nautilus CC Plus and skimming daily keep everything in order.

Just thought I'd report this anomaly....every pool is a tad bit different.

CYA 50 with a SWG works fine in the Northern latitudes. Down south they need more sunscreen.

TA is the last important chemical we test. It matters for how it effects pH. Keep an eye on your CSI as a higher TA can get you into scaling territory. A higher TA can also cause more scale buildup in your SWG.

Ah, northern latitudes, that makes sense. My last pool was in the Tampa FL area and I let the Pool Company idiots take my CYA up to 150 with 3-inch tabs and tons of Super-Shock......and had algae 24/7 even when i put gobs of liquid CL in the pool. Ever since that fiasco, and having become educated on TFP...I have been very sensitive to too much CYA. I'll stay at 50. Last time I measured everything and asked pool math to calculate CSI, it was -.04. Once it was 0.00....I was amazed. My pool has never been better/cleaner, etc...Thanks or the insight.

Reactions: Oly
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.