I’m new and overwhelmed.

LawDog09

May 15, 2019
Arkansas
First year to open a pool and I’m overwhelmed. I know nothing so bear with me and I’m sure there are a ton of post just like this one.

My cousin lives across the street and has a beautiful pool. He helped me get the cover off and told me to use 3” tabs and put 6 1lb bags of shock directly in the pool. I have a sand filtration system. It’s been 2 days and the pool looks about the same.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

What test kit are you using? You need one of these: Test Kits Compared
To clear up the pool we recommend you follow the SLAM Process process ... and this is NOT just blindly throwing in bags of chemicals like your cousin is doing.

If you stick around here and keep asking questions, we can teach you how to maintain a pool that will likely have better water and be cheaper than what your cousin is doing.
But, doing so may mean you have to stop talking to your cousin about pools to avoid conflicting advice. :mrgreen:

Reactions: Razorhog
Welcome to TFP, fellow Arkansan! You did good by coming here. Tell your cousin to join TFP too. If he uses pucks and powdered shock, I guarantee he will have problems at some point.
He has had his pool a few years now and it’s always been enjoyable to swim in it. It’s never burned my eyes or anything so I just assumed he knew what he was doing.

We have found pool store testing to be notoriously inadequate and not repeatable. And since you do not know WHICH Taylor kit it is or how old or how it was stored, I would highly suggest you just order one of the recommended test kits (the TF-100 with the XL option is the best value for clearing up a pool). And while waiting for the test kit, add 1 gallon of plain bleach to the pool each day ... and fill out your signature please :D

We have found pool store testing to be notoriously inadequate and not repeatable. And since you do not know WHICH Taylor kit it is or how old or how it was stored, I would highly suggest you just order one of the recommended test kits (the TF-100 with the XL option is the best value for clearing up a pool). And while waiting for the test kit, add 1 gallon of plain bleach to the pool each day ... and fill out your signature please :D
So turn off chlorine tabs and just pour 1 gallon of bleach per day?

Yes. The tablets are not just adding chlorine, they are also adding CYA and lowering the pH.
Until you test your water, you have no idea what the water actually NEEDS ... this is the main TFP mantra, we reliably test and only add what the pool needs.

I might suggest you take a look at ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry to get started understanding the pool chemistry. There is also a free eBook that would help you understand our methods.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes. The tablets are not just adding chlorine, they are also adding CYA and lowering the pH.
Until you test your water, you have no idea what the water actually NEEDS ... this is the main TFP mantra, we reliably test and only add what the pool needs.

I might suggest you take a look at ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry to get started understanding the pool chemistry. There is also a free eBook that would help you understand our methods.
Yes sir

Pool chemistry is simple.
1. Stay away from "pool store" and "pool-guy" advice, including family and friends who don't follow TFP.
2. Test your water with one of the recommended test kits.
3. Make sure your equipment is working as expected (pump, filter, skimmers).
4. Add only the chemicals that are needed (use Pool Math).
5. If you have algae, perform a SLAM until all 3 criteria are met.
6. Repeat step 1-4.

Reactions: borjis and jimim
Hey, its one of the good ones!
Hopefully it is not too old. Where did you find it stored?

There are options to order refills from tftestkits.net as you need them.

Post up a full set of results when you get them.
This might help when you go to run them: Extended Test Instructions
There are also videos on tftestkits.net as well I believe.

Hey, its one of the good ones!
Hopefully it is not too old. Where did you find it stored?

There are options to order refills from tftestkits.net as you need them.

Post up a full set of results when you get them.
This might help when you go to run them: Extended Test Instructions
There are also videos on tftestkits.net as well I believe.
It’s been kept in the kitchen cabinet. It’s been stored in room temperature. The kit is less than a year old.

Awesome, you are good to go!!!

Note that usually tftestkits.net has a sale on a full set of refills in the spring (March I think). So, keep that in mind next year ... assuming you do not burn through all the reagents this summer with your new found excitement of understanding and adjusting your pool water ;)

A 'little bit'? Sorry -- it just is about that much!
You just need enough that the solution is pink and you see a grain or two of the powder that has not dissolved.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.