Selenap

May 28, 2021
Waynesville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This is a first. Yeah my ta is higher than your recommendation but look. LOOK! Lol I’m not fudging my numbers a bit. This is after putting in a new liner, city water trucked in, well water and rain. Accidentally overdosing the baking soda, countless gallons of muriatic acid to fix. Aerating and finally boric acid. Now of the wind would just quit blowing tree junk in the pool…..

Attachments

• EC7173B5-3621-4121-92F8-B6A85A506EB7.jpeg
    EC7173B5-3621-4121-92F8-B6A85A506EB7.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 52
  • C398D7BA-FEE6-4B39-99EB-7EEAF3CC6EC7.jpeg
    C398D7BA-FEE6-4B39-99EB-7EEAF3CC6EC7.jpeg
    867.8 KB · Views: 52
Sweet job Selenap !! Wanna keep it that way ? See that target range of 3-7 ppm FC ? It’s that way because the average pool looses 2-4 ppm daily. So with the minimalist TFP approach, you start at 7, loose up to your 4ppm daily loss and still be above the minimum. Aka the absolute WORST level you can safely achieve sanitization. You never EVER want to approach that minimum. Not even close. Cuz here’s the thing. In a 24 hour period you loose your daily loss and you are still in ‘target range’ and ok. Yay all is well !! Who needs a beverage ? But high UV days happen. Freak storms happen. Swimmers happen. You can do everything right and still have things happen.

Or life happens and your 24 hour add time gets pushed back 1/3 a day because kids. Or work. Or, yeah. You get the idea. :)

So if you target slightly above ‘target’, you’ll have plenty FC to spare when things and/or life happens. At worst you’ll drift down into ‘in range’. You’ll have to come visit us in the BBQ thread because you’ll NEVER be back to talk about your green water.

Reactions: Selenap
I’m rarely below 5ppm on chlorine. I don’t seem to use near as much as others. I don’t measure but on average I use 1/3 gallon of 10% a day. I do keep a couple hockey pucks in the auto chlorination. I am usually the only one using the pool. Neighborhood kids come by once in a while. So it’s pretty easy to keep something in good shape that sits mostly unused except a few hours a day. Maybe it’s overkill for a few hours of relaxation floating around on top of it but I don’t care. I do tell people I swim laps but that’s a total lie. Lol

Reactions: Newdude
I’m rarely below 5ppm on chlorine
I get what you’re saying. So kudos for that part. There is still room for error here though. :)
I do keep a couple hockey pucks in the auto chlorination
No Beuno. Pucks add CYA. Great when you are low, or when you needed a few ppm anyway and have a vacation planned, but regular use skyrockets you CYA so you need more and more FC to be sanitary. Which brings me back to this 👇
I’m rarely below 5ppm on chlorine
If your CYA is high from the pucks, 10 will be your minimum……. Then 12….. 14….. and so on as the CYA keeps increasing.

I have like 6 pucks left. The two in there will last 2 weeks so it’s 4ppm rounding up) of cya I’m adding over that time. I’ve rounded up to 40 ppm. So total I may add at the most 24ppm but I think that’s optimistic. Plus some where’s I read you do lose 5ppm a month so if that’s the case I’m not losing or gaining much. Just using them up. Two at a time. My pool seems happy.

Just using them up. Two at a time. My pool seems happy.
Ok. Controlled use while monitoring the after effects. 👍

Sorry, we usually see people ‘using up’ a new 50 lb bucket. And then buying 3 more because they were $5 off. And then complaining they can’t keep a 45 FC to match the CyA. 😁

Reactions: Selenap
I’m bad at math. 6 pucks would be like 12ppm. I’ve been working on this 50 pound bucket for at least 6 years. Lol. I’ve always been in the habit of using liquid bleach. The pucks I use to…. Idk. I guess help string the liquid bleach along. In any case even if I wanted pucks I’ve been priced out of the market. I can’t compete with the rich folks flex. 😂

• Haha
Well while I was off at work acting all smug all night we’ve had 2 inches of rain and 4 more hours of it. Submersible pump is in high gear. Lawd have mercy. CYA won’t be an issue now. Lol.

Well while I was off at work acting all smug all night we’ve had 2 inches of rain and 4 more hours of it. Submersible pump is in high gear. Lawd have mercy. CYA won’t be an issue now. Lol.
People put way too much emphasis on rain in the short term. 2 inches in a 54 inch pool is 3.7% and lowers the CYA by that much. So your 40 CYA becomes a 38.52 (which still rounds up to 40 like anything 31-39). It’s even less if any rain got drained to waste or overflowed.

Now, more rain, over a few weeks will certainly add up, but you get what I’m saying day-to-day. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.