IG Pool Light Alternatives?

Aug 1, 2018
Mesa, AZ
My partner and I tried replacing our pool light bulb recently (it has never worked since we bought our home), but in the process, we discovered the previous owner/someone had somehow severed the cable to the light housing niche. After consulting with our pool renovation guy, he discovered that the power conduit is also completely corroded or crushed somewhere underground and would need to be dug up and replaced. We can't afford that kind of repair right now, so we were wondering if anyone has found a reasonable alternative to lighting their pool? We are open to just about any solution as long as it doesn't die after a few uses and/or require a fresh set of batteries every night. I should also note we've browsed Amazon extensively and haven't been too thrilled with what we've seen so far.

Welcome to TFP.

Can you setup some flood lights above the pool to light it at night?

I rarely turn on my pool light since I have flood lights on the corner of the house over the deck that light up the deck and pool area.

After consulting with our pool renovation guy, he discovered that the power conduit is also completely corroded or crushed somewhere underground and would need to be dug up and replaced.

No idea on alternative lighting, but I'm curious how the person determined that conduit is corroded or crushed? Did they use a borescope or similar device?

Welcome to TFP.

Can you setup some flood lights above the pool to light it at night?

I rarely turn on my pool light since I have flood lights on the corner of the house over the deck that light up the deck and pool area.
We actually do have flood lights on the corner of our house right near the pool. That is a really great suggestion; I hadn't even thought of using these to cast light on the pool.

No idea on alternative lighting, but I'm curious how the person determined that conduit is corroded or crushed? Did they use a borescope or similar device?

No, no borescope. It was my understanding they just weren't able to pull the light cable through the conduit, almost if it had been cemented in. They said since the cable to the light housing had been severed already, there's reason to believe previous owners tried to replace the light and snapped the cable trying to pull it through.

I don't have any photos, unfortunately, but there were about two feet of cable in the niche from what I recall. I'm not quite sure about the junction box, but I'll post a picture later. I'm also not sure what diameter the conduit is. All this discovery was happening during our pool renovation, so the pool was empty and plasterless when I checked/asked the pool guys. The pool is filled now and I'm going through the startup process, so it might be a few days before I can dive in and check things out again.

I'm very new to all this pool stuff, so I'm open to suggestions on where to look/how to check up on the missing pieces here. I'll just need a brief walkthrough on how to do it :)

There should be extra cable in the light niche; that is so you can pull the light to your deck when you change the bulb.

The wiring *might* be sealed at the niche - I know mine is because there was a small water leak in the conduit, so it was plugged up. Maybe that's why they were unable to pull the wire?

You could always try a wire snake if the conduit is a relatively straight shot....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.