IG Approx. 1000 Gallon Spa with 4 Jets + 1 "non-jet" that seems connected to IG Pool (shared system). What is this?

omals

Jul 16, 2020
San Diego
New to owning a Spa/Pool (shared system).

I'm trying to understand if the pool builder for my IG Pool/Spa system would for some reason plumbed a 1/2 PVC line to the pool-side return? I have a 1/2 PVC pipe outlet in between one of the four spa jets and I don't know the purpose.

The pool might be 30 years old at this point. The problem I'm having is that when I heat the Spa, there is some kind of exchange with the water on the pool side happens (after the spa valves are closed) and I can't keep the water even remotely warm (since eventually the cold pool water circulates into the pool, even with the pump off). The pool and spa are the same level (with spillway). Is this common? The spa is literally just has 4 normal spa jets (nothing fancy, the hayward 1 1/2 nozzles seem to fit) plus the PVC pipe without anything special about it leading from who knows where (again, i suspect the pool side return but would have to dig up the pipes).

That sounds like a fairly standard setup. When in pool mode you still want to send water to the spa for the spillover, to ensure the spa water is refreshed and not stagnant.

In spa mode, no water should come from this return, only the spa returns. Are you saying that when you are actively using the spa that cold water is coming from this return? Or are you just trying to keep the spa heated while in pool mode?

O,

Most spas have a make up line that takes water from the pool returns and sends some of it to the spa.. This makes the spa overflow into the pool.. This water is what keeps the spa water clean and fresh..

Your set up should have the ability to shut that water off somewhere..

Show us a bunch of pics of your equipment pad.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks JJ_Tex and Jimrahbe:

Spa mode seems to be fine and is closed loop AFAICT. When Spa mode is off, the actuators move back to the default (Pool mode) position and opens plumbing path to the cold water of the pool.. after heating the water to 90* last night and turning off the Spa I could feel non-heated (pool-side) water coming through that outlet...maybe just the water adjusting to equilibrium to the pool but unwanted if I'm trying to store the heat energy.

After writing out the email and forcing myself to think about the problem, I went out and turned the pool on (i.e. closed return spa valves) and yep, when in Pool mode, that 1/2 PVC outlet is sending water. This also explains the water i'm seeing filling up the Spa and leading to the spillway always seemingly spilling even without the valve opened to Spa.

I wrongly assumed that the only way to get the Spillway to work was to adjust the return valve to allow for some return to the Spa (when in pool mode) but this looks like the Spa was plumbed with a "forced spillway" in pool mode. I'm not certain that I want that. I thought it was actually a bad valve or actuator (bad cam) that was causing that.

Mine has a valve on the makeup/spillway return that I can manually close if I want to keep the hot water in the spa. You should be able to tell at the equipment pad if yours has this option as well (or post pics and we can help).

I'll occasionally shut mine off to keep the hot water in the spa if the kids want to get in the spa during the day, and I want to get in a few hours later without re-heating the spa. I would not recommend doing this long term as you want to make sure your spa is getting chlorinated water.

Thanks all. I think that I understand the problem now and can look at it in more detail (and post pics) when I have more time. There isn't any sort of shutoff valve or anywhere obvious in the exposed plumbing that might indicate where the "make up" line is connected. I'll just accept it for what it is right now and possibly dig up some of the plumbing in the future and install a valve (but probably won't, it isn't that big of a deal).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.