IG 20x40 Vinyl Build Chicago, Illinois

Bob75

Apr 11, 2017
Joliet/IL
We wanted simple and big with room for a diving board and slide. We shopped around 4 different pool builders in the area and prices were similar. Went with the PB that had a good reputation and excellent salesman that answered all questions (That I got from browsing this site)
Budget was limited so we can't do all the fancy upgrades I see around here like really nice coping and decking.
Digging to start in June. I'm nervous and excited.

Here are the details:
  • Custom 20’ x 40’ Rectangle Shaped Latham Polymer Wall Vinyl Pool (3'-6" to 8'-6")
  • Automated Digital Control System which will allow you to operate your new Variable Flow Pump
  • Robotic pool cleaner
  • (2) Color Changing LED 12 volt lights
  • 250,000 BTU electronic ignition pool heater
  • Chemical Control System and Salt/Chlorine Generator. Also includes a 420 square foot cartridge filter
  • (2) Surface skimmers
  • (4) Returns
  • (2) VGB approved main drains.
  • One stainless steel ladder at the deep end.
It's all Pentair equipment.

I look forward to posting the build progress.

pool_layout.jpgpool_demensions.jpg2019-05-04 14.19.59.jpgIMG_0585.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: lazygirl1978
I can tell you have been doing some reading :hug: from the pics you added! THANKS!

Okay lets get the party started!

What Automated Digital Control System? Model name and number please.

What Chemical Control System and Salt/Chlorine Generator and size? We suggest getting a SWG double the size rated for your size of pool to save on your power bill and cell life.

What brand of heater?

That should keep you busy for a little while.

Kim:kim:

Alright this is the setup.

The automation system:
EasyTouch PL4 with Screen logic 522355

Chemical Control :
Intellichem 522621 (I’ve read you guys don’t like these for outdoor pools)

SWG:
iChlor 30 (which I’m guessing will be under powered)

Heater:
MasterTemp NG 250K BTU

You may want to consider a larger heater. Our pool is 30,000 gallons (free form approx. 20 x 40) so approximate same size pool as yours. We have a 400,000 btu natural gas heater. It will heat the pool 1-2 degrees an hour. If the heater you are looking to install is 250,000 btu, you are looking at 1 degree an hour at best. Hope that helps.

You may want to consider a larger heater. Our pool is 30,000 gallons (free form approx. 20 x 40) so approximate same size pool as yours. We have a 400,000 btu natural gas heater. It will heat the pool 1-2 degrees an hour. If the heater you are looking to install is 250,000 btu, you are looking at 1 degree an hour at best. Hope that helps.
Thanks. I've been considering that. I hate the added expense, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

If you are referring to the added expense of running a 400,000 btu heater vs. a 250,000 btu heater you have to remember you are simply going to have to run the smaller heater longer to achieved the same desired temperature than if you had the 400,00 btu heater. I know there are people in the forum who are much more knowledgeable then I am about this, but my initial evaluation is that you still need the same amount of energy to heat the water say from 70 degrees to 80 degrees. It is just a matter of how fast you will achieve the temperature change.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They got a lot done in less than a week. Dug, walls set and leveled, concrete bond beam poured, lights and rough plumbing done. Broke ground last Friday.

2 skimmers, 5 returns (4 in the pool 1 in the stairs) They are moving fast, but it feels like it's taking forever.

.2019-07-03 17.41.54-1.jpg2019-07-03 16.45.43 HDR.jpg

You need to go ahead and ask what test kit they will be giving you. Let us know which one so we can fill any holes!

I already ordered and received my TF-100
I checked my city tap water which I will be filling my pool with.

My PH is a nice 7.2
CL .5
BR 1
Calcium is 500 ppm - is this going to be a problem? That seems high.

my Alkaline bottle was empty on arrival :( so I just ordered a refill yesterday.

Should I do any of the other tests pre pool fill?

my Alkaline bottle was empty on arrival :( so I just ordered a refill yesterday.
I have a call in to the owner of TFtestkits. She should be in touch with you about this. She will take care of you!

That will be some easy water to take care of. The CH is a little high but rain water can help lower it. See if there is any way you can direct the roof run off to the pool THROUGH some kind of filter even if it just a bucket with polyfill in it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.