Identify stain

Apr 28, 2017
Melbourne, FL
Is someone able to help me identifying these stains? I just treated with "Stain Free" and also added "Metal Free" with no results. I followed the directions by reducing the chlorine level to 0 and lowered the ph to about 7.2. Brushed the stains and again, no change. Pool is about 23 years old with original plaster. Pool is not screened in. Pool is approximately 10,000 gallons. Stains are primarily in the deep end. They have been present for a couple of years. Any ideas, advice would be greatly appreciated. Btw, I'm located in central florida.

Attachments

• 20210711_121327.jpg
    20210711_121327.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210711_121324.jpg
    20210711_121324.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210711_121309.jpg
    20210711_121309.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 17
Can you show a picture of the cartridge?
Here you go. Tell me what you think. Btw, I was just reading someone else's post and the pictures they provided of their plaster looked very much like mine. The advice he was receiving was to lower the ph and drain some water. Had something to do with calcium hardness. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20210713_170820.jpg
    20210713_170820.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210713_170811.jpg
    20210713_170811.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210713_170803.jpg
    20210713_170803.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 8
Based on the color of the cartridges, it does not look like you have copper in the water, but the stains still look like copper to me.

All of the copper might be in the form of permanent surface stains and the cartridges might have been replaced after the copper was all in the form of surface stains.

Sulfamic acid (Jack's #2 Copper and Scale Stuff) might work or a zero alkalinity treatment might work, but both are very aggressive to metals.

You need to do your research on both treatments to understand the risks and costs of each treatment to decide if the risk is worth the potential benefit.

Even if the treatment works, you are putting copper into the water and it will eventually restain unless you drain and refill to get rid of the copper.

Draining can float a pool or cause other damages. So, do your research to decide if you can safely drain and refill the pool.

Contact a local expert for advice on draining and refilling and on the risks of a zero alkalinity or sulfamic acid treatment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Based on the color of the cartridges, it does not look like you have copper in the water, but the stains still look like copper to me.

All of the copper might be in the form of permanent surface stains and the cartridges might have been replaced after the copper was all in the form of surface stains.

Sulfamic acid (Jack's #2 Copper and Scale Stuff) might work or a zero alkalinity treatment might work, but both are very aggressive to metals.

You need to do your research on both treatments to understand the risks and costs of each treatment to decide if the risk is worth the potential benefit.

Even if the treatment works, you are putting copper into the water and it will eventually restain unless you drain and refill to get rid of the copper.

Draining can float a pool or cause other damages. So, do your research to decide if you can safely drain and refill the pool.

Contact a local expert for advice on draining and refilling and on the risks of a zero alkalinity or sulfamic acid treatment.
I also wanted to mention that last year I purchased one of those stain identification kits that has the 3 different pouches. I believe one was cobalt and can’t think what the others were. After trying them, I did notice that one, can’t recall which one, lightened the stain. Unfortunately, I never followed through. Maybe it’s a good idea to purchase one of those kits again and give it a try. What do you think?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.