Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hello TFP!

I'm thinking about trying to organize the electrical by my pool pump and was hoping to get some help identifying what is what.

I think some of this is old and can just be removed but I want input from TFP to be sure.

* Since I have a VS pump I don't think the timer is used at all, and it looks pretty old. Do I need the timer, should I just remove it?
* The Box below the "pool light" is a GFCI outlet, so I know what that is.
* The flexible PVC coming out of the top of the "pool light" is a regular switch, no idea what it does, seems to be on, but it could be wired upside down.
* The j-box labeled "pool sweep 'oscar'" is a regular switch, no idea what it does, perhaps for an old vacuum? The vacuum I have now is a suction side attached to a vac port.
* Everything else that isn't labeled I have no idea what it is.

Attached are the pics, I can take more if needed and I have a multimeter that I can use to test things, just let me know what to test.

Thanks!

Attachments

• pool_electrical.jpg
    pool_electrical.jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 48
  • pool_timer.jpg
    pool_timer.jpg
    468.1 KB · Views: 48
Your timer is not controlling anything. They moved the pump wires to the line side of the timer. The timer is just acting as a junction box to connect the wires. If you remove the timer you need to replace it with a junction box.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Is the timer actually running as it was set from 11pm to midday which seems a little odd. It could've been used for the main pump or a booster pump if there was a pressure side cleaner used previously.

If you don't mind spending some money on automation, you could replace it with a Pentair IntelliConnect for around $280. You would be able to control your Intelliflo, single speed pump, lights and heater from your phone. Also has the ability to control an IntelliChlor or iChlor SCG if you decide to add that later.

Last edited:
Your timer is not controlling anything. They moved the pump wires to the line side of the timer. The timer is just acting as a junction box to connect the wires. If you remove the timer you need to replace it with a junction box.
Understood, thank you. Is there a specific junction box for pools that TFP recommends?

Is the timer actually running as it was set from 11pm to midday which seems a little odd. It could've been used for the main pump or a booster pump if there was a pressure side cleaner used previously.

If you don't mind spending some money on automation, you could replace it with a Pentair IntelliConnect for around $280. You would be able to control your Intelliflo, single speed pump, lights and heater from your phone. Also has the ability to control an IntelliChlor or iChlor SCG if you decide to add that later.
No the timer hasn't been running since I've owned it (1 year). I assume it was used before the VS pump was installed?

I was thinking of getting the Pentair IntelliConnect and an IC40 or IC60, but I could only find the IC60 + IntelliConnect for $2k, which was a bit more than the Circupool rj-60. I'd like the automation but I don't like Pentair tries to lock you into their automation, and I wasn't sure if the Pentair warranty would be valid if I installed it myself.

So I went and messed with the electrical a little bit more.

The switch labeled "pool sweep oscar" seems to turn the power off to the VS pump. So at this point I don't think I need a switch there and can instead hardwire the VS pump to a junction box or something like the IntelliConnect?

The switch below the "pool fountain" switch doesn't seem to do anything, not sure if I need that, but I'm assuming I don't.

I was thinking of getting the Pentair IntelliConnect and an IC40 or IC60, but I could only find the IC60 + IntelliConnect for $2k, which was a bit more than the Circupool rj-60. I'd like the automation but I don't like Pentair tries to lock you into their automation, and I wasn't sure if the Pentair warranty would be valid if I installed it myself.

I take that back, I was looking at the Easytouch with the IC60 which is $2k here. I wasn't aware of the IntelliConnect, looks like it doesn't work with the IC60, so If I went with the IntelliConnect I'd have to hope the IC40 was enough for my 21k gallon pool in Phoenix.

I opened the box in the upper-right and this is what is inside. Anyone know what this thing is? The bottom outlet seems to not be connected to anything.

Attachments

• pool_electrical_unknown.jpg
    pool_electrical_unknown.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 33

Polytec Pools has the Pentair IntelliChlor IC60 Complete Salt Chlorinator System for $1200 and add in the IntelliConnect it'll be around $1500. Based on below it appears the warranty for the IC60 is 2 years if self installed. IntelliConnect installation/owner manuals don't mention IC60 as being incompatible, so you should give a Pentair a call to confirm.

Last edited:
I opened the box in the upper-right and this is what is inside. Anyone know what this thing is? The bottom outlet seems to not be connected to anything.

That is an X-10 wireless controlled outlet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Polytec Pools has the Pentair IntelliChlor IC60 Complete Salt Chlorinator System for $1200 and add in the IntelliConnect it'll be around $1500. Based on below it appears the warranty for the IC60 is 2 years if self installed. IntelliConnect installation/owner manuals don't mention IC60 as being incompatible, so you should give a Pentair a call to confirm.

Right on that page it says in the description:

2 year warranty if installed by a pool professional (60) days if self installed

That is an X-10 wireless controlled outlet.
Hm, interesting. When I bought the house the owner didn't give me a remote and I don't see a transceiver anywhere in the house so I assume this is also old and not used.

I'm also not sure what the top plug is, it goes to the metal box below, but I'm not sure what the metal box is.

Oh the wonders of inheriting a pool :)

Any idea of what the black box to the right of the X-10 outlet is?

Right on that page it says in the description: 2 year warranty if installed by a pool professional (60) days if self installed

The way I read it for the IC60 is 2 years (no ✓ for professional install), but maybe I missed some small print somewhere.

PRODUCT/PRODUCT CATEGORYLENGTH OF WARRANTYREQUIRES PROFESSIONAL INSTALLATION
IntelliChlor Salt Chlorine Generator (without Power Center)2 Years

You need to open up the metal box below and see what the plug leads to.

The 240V contactor and the wire in the bottom plug remotely controlled something. You are missing a box in between them.

You need to open up the metal box below and see what the plug leads to.

The 240V contactor and the wire in the bottom plug remotely controlled something. You are missing a box in between them.
I opened the metal box below and it has 3 cables connected to terminals that run into conduit that goes into the ground. No idea where the conduit goes, perhaps just some old system that isn't around?

So the 240v contactor normally would have cables attached to the terminals at the top? Since it doesn't have those cables it's basically not in use?

I opened the metal box below and it has 3 cables connected to terminals that run into conduit that goes into the ground. No idea where the conduit goes, perhaps just some old system that isn't around?

What is at the other end of the cord with the plug?

So the 240v contactor normally would have cables attached to the terminals at the top? Since it doesn't have those cables it's basically not in use?

Looks that way. You seem to have a pool that has had lots of changes in its time.

What is at the other end of the cord with the plug?

I'm not sure which cord you are referring to. The cable plugged into the top of the X-10 goes down into the metal box below. That metal box has security screws so I can't get all the way into it, but the bottom is open. If I look under the bottom I can see 3 terminals with cables attached to them. Those cables go into the conduit and into the ground, no idea where that conduit/cables end up.

The cable plugged into the bottom of the X-10 is just wrapped up inside that same box; they aren't attached to anything anymore.

I think it's safe to say I can remove the entire box with the X-10, and the metal box below it. I'll work on adding labels to the original picture I uploaded and see if anyone disagrees or has more input.

Post pics of the head of the security screws.

Disconnect the plugs from the X-10 outlet.

Or drill out the security screws. There is some device connected to that plug.

Post pics of the head of the security screws.

Disconnect the plugs from the X-10 outlet.

Or drill out the security screws. There is some device connected to that plug.
Attached is a pic of the security screws.

I disconnected the plugs from the X-10 outlet.

Unfortunately I can't drill them out as the clearance between the screws on the right and the wall is so small, therefore I can't fit my drill in there. I'll probably have to buy some of those security bits.

Attachments

• security_bit_pool.jpg
    security_bit_pool.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 22

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.