Ideas anyone?

pooladdict

TFP Guide
In The Industry
May 14, 2007
New Brunswick Canada
This is how I have put the cedar over the edge of the pool, I have been looking for something to give it a softer edge, other then half rounding the wood at the top, its routed at the bottom 1/2 inch to make it rest on both parts of the metal coping.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Rik

Attachments

divnkd101

LifeTime Supporter
When you say softer, are you talking appearance or to keep people from knocking their knees/ splinters. Either way, I have a suggestion...
Check out some of the Marine stores (WestMarine.com , Overtons.com) and look at the boat bumper section. They tend to have some smaller size rails that might satisfy what you are looking for. Good luck.

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
pooladdict said:
This is how I have put the cedar over the edge of the pool, I have been looking for something to give it a softer edge, other then half rounding the wood at the top, its routed at the bottom 1/2 inch to make it rest on both parts of the metal coping.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Rik
Rik,

Do you know what bullnose trim is? It's essentially a trim piece, usually about 5/8 wide and is a 1/2 circle. I would consider installing (screwing) that to the face of the cedar.

I haven't worked with cedar much but I know it splits easily....it may be difficult to router that top edge...especially since it's end-grain. If you can't come up with a suitable nosing, I think I'd take a belt sander to it and round off the top edge.....That's slow and certainly doesn't look machine-made when you get done but it would be a big improvement over the look and functionality you have now.

pooladdict

TFP Guide
In The Industry
May 14, 2007
New Brunswick Canada
Thanks guys, one of the reason I am so gratefull that Sean opened up this site, have been watching another forum , but it was close to new users.

I can router the top edge, its quite hard wood and easily routers, I am looking for something to sort of tidy up the edge, I know I can get it soft enough to stay away from Splinters and such.

That Marine stuff might do the trick.

Again thanks alot.

Rik

tpg

May 10, 2007
virginia
There is a resin based bullnose that would work wonders on this problem. It is waterproof, flexible and does not split or cause splinters. It is paintable or stainable. I have used it in both commercial and residental applications, inside and outside, in both curved and flat applications. I know it comes in various sizes from 3/4in to 3 inches. When I get home and out to my shop, I will look up who makes it.

TPG

matt4x4

Apr 2, 2007
Check RONA, Home Depot (although I hate recommending THEM), Home hardware building centers.
There are many new products available out there usually made from resin or a resin/sawdust mix, that replicate wood colors (stains) or grey cedar decking (natural) but without the weathering characteristics of wood. Ohterwise, you'll likely be putting on something like a boat bumper (white) likely with an aluminum channel for it to sit in.

The other alternative is to take the same wood your deck is made with, cut a board in half down the length, router the edges, sand smooth and scew on edge to the boards that overhang the pool - you can still incur slivers but it will be quite clean in comparison to what you currently have.
If the boards don't bend enough, you can pre soak them for a number of days either in your pool or in a length of capped and filled eavestrough. (the cheapest way I've found outside of the allready available pool.)

pooladdict

TFP Guide
In The Industry
May 14, 2007
New Brunswick Canada
Thanks Matt

I was thinking the same thing with some strips of wood, I used to make SnowShoes that way. Its tough to find stuff down east, but I really like the idea of putting on some acrylic or resin based trim that will adhere to the wood. I have hand sealed all my screw holes (3800+) with an epoxy resin. I tried those darn blasted deksters and after 4 hours to apply 5 boards, almost threw them in the deep end. The sealed holes are stainable as long as one doesnt let the epoxy set for more then 48 hours.

Wish we had a Rona down here

Rik