Ideal CYA, PH and TA when closing a mesh-covered pool

ba67

Oct 17, 2018
Southern Kentucky
What is the ideal CYA, PH and TA level when closing a pool with a mesh cover that typically has to be drained 4-5 times over the winter to keep water level below the tiles all winter? Last year I opened up to a swamp with 0 CYA, low TA and high PH that took a long time to clear up so I need to know what the ideal CYA, PH and TA would be to prevent this from happening again. Right now, CYA is 30, PH is 7.8 and TA is 70 but I can adjust those before closing if it might help.

While a variety of factors contribute to changing chemistry over the winter, a CYA of ~ 50 should work fine and allow for some occasional water loss. TA is probably the least of your worries as it doesn't really impact your overall chemistry too much. As long as the TA is anywhere between 50 - 100 you're good. The pH is typically lowered to about 7.4 - 7.6 which allows time for it to rise later as the water gets cold.

Reactions: ba67
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.