Ice melt and rips

Jul 11, 2017
Minnesota
Just curious...I am from MN, have a 27 ft round above pool. I have tried to cover the pool with a large tarp and have drained the water about 8 inches below the skimmer. Just looked at pool and again this year there are small tears and also a long foot long rip. Assuming its the ice.

Is there anyone else encountering this? Bought the home with the pool 2 years ago, and this has happened both year. Anyone from the North States do something different with positive results which are no rips or is this common?

During the winter do you touch the pool in any way? Drain water? Adjust cover?

No I dont touch the pool. I cover it in mid oct after I have it winterized. The water is lowered about 8 inches below the skimmer and then a tarp is placed over the top. One day a storm blew it partially off and 6 inches of snow so I was not able to recover. What do you do? Thinking that draining it empty would be beat but have heard that is hard on the liner

The snow weight may have disturbed and moved the ice.

An AGP structure needs the water inside to keep it stable. If you drain the pool it is likely it will collapse over the winter.

I think you need a more stable cover for the pool for the winter.

Just curious...I am from MN, have a 27 ft round above pool. I have tried to cover the pool with a large tarp and have drained the water about 8 inches below the skimmer. Just looked at pool and again this year there are small tears and also a long foot long rip. Assuming its the ice.

Is there anyone else encountering this? Bought the home with the pool 2 years ago, and this has happened both year. Anyone from the North States do something different with positive results which are no rips or is this common?

I thought about using a tarp, but instead purchased a winter cover and have not run into the issues you describe. I drain to about the same level each fall.

I'm impatiently waiting for my iceberg to melt so I can pull the winter cover as I'm so tired of looking at it after 5-1/2 months. But a spot check shows the ice has melted enough there is about 2" of water between the ice and they vinyl, so the cover will stay put for a couple more weeks, at least.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.