IC40 SWG not on during EasyTouch 'Clean' Cycle?

KurtinTUS

Silver Supporter
Jul 20, 2017
Tucson
In my second Spring with our pool, and since the SWG has 'woke up' with the warmer temps, I am noticing it only seems to be operating during the pool's normal 'on' cycle (lower pump flow). For the portion of the day that I have set for 'clean' cycle (higher pump flow), the SWG lights are all off. I am pretty sure that last summer the SWG was operating during both 'on' and 'clean' cycles. This, of course, also brings up the broader problem of my feeble knowledge of how to program the EasyTouch system. Are there any 'EasyTouch for Dummies' resources out there that I could refer to?

Kurt,

The salt cell only works when your EasyTouch is in the Pool mode or Spa mode. This is because the cell only gets power when the pump/filter relay is closed.

My guess is it is related to how you have your cleaning system scheduled.. As an example.... If you schedule the Pool mode to run 7 am until 7 pm and then schedule your cleaner to come on at 8 pm until 9 pm.. the cell will not work when the cleaner is on..

On the other hand, if you schedule the Pool mode to run 7 am until 9 pm and then scheduled your cleaner to run from 8 pm until 9 pm, the cell will work when the cleaner is running.

No dummies book I am afraid.. Do you have ScreenLogic?

Please let me know if you do not know how to check your schedules and I'll walk you through it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim, I think you may have nailed my problem exactly! Currently, there are a couple hours of inactivity between my pool and clean cycles. I'll re-arrange the pool and clean cycles and see if that does the trick. Thanks!

I do have ScreenLogic on our Mac & iphones, but I still feel like there is a whole lot I don't know about the software...

Kurt,

Yes I think Jim nailed the issue.

I thought I would share how I set up my system as it might help you plan your schedules.

I run my Pool mode from 7am to 6.58 am. overlapping all other my schedules. This gives me a low cost way to keep the pool circulating and filtering a little 24x7.

Pool is set to a very low RPM ( like 600 RPM ) which does slow speed / low power filtration, yet it is to low of flow for the intellichlor. The long schedule means any time another feature or circuit is running with sufficient flow, the intellichlor is making chlorine.

several other schedules have higher flow to get the intellichlor to run.
7.01 to 7.10 runs the water feature to clean out any debris from the previous day
7.11 to 8:15 runs spillway function to push any floating debris from the spa into the pool and fills the spa with some chlorinated water.
8:16 to 11:15 is a 3 hour run of the pressure side pool cleaner.
This is all done during the early part of the day when electricity is less expensive. 8am to 5pm is a feature mode called pool-high that simply bumps the pump speed high enough to run the intellichlor. This overlaps the likely time the solar is running which also gets a high enough pumps speed to run the intellichlor, but if the pool gets warm enough that the solar is not required or if it is a cloudy or rainy day like today this "pool-high" ensures I get enough hours of the intellichlor to keep enough chlorine in the pool.

5.30pm to 7pm I have another spillway schedule to again get some chlorine into the attached spa and in summer can pre-heat the spa into the high 80s or low 90s.

I setup the circuits initially at the easy touch panel and it took a long time. This was before I bought a screenlogic, which is much easier to use. I prefer the PC version for setting up config stuff.

sorry this rambled a bit but I thought I'd share it anyway.

good luck

Dan,

Whatever works for you, works just fine for me.... but..... I run 8am until 8am, which gives me 24/7 coverage without the 2 minute gap... Does your pump shut off and restart???

I personally can't see any reason to be running the pump if I'm not making chlorine.. :scratch:

Glad you got your system running the way you like...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

I'm open to suggestions and comments.

One reason I run my pump on a slow speed overnight is I have a lot of small debris from the trees around the pool ending up in the skimmer and when the pump shuts off the debris floats back into the pool. I have the pump set to about 400 RPM and this pulls in enough water to keep the debris in. It is only using about 120 watts. The IC 40 runs about 12 hours a day at 40% and this keeps the chlorine level just about right.

Another reason, but one I'm not so sure about is I read that slow filtration 24x7 helps keep the water circulating, and is efficient filtering due to the slow flowing water through the grids. My pool does sparkle in the summer so maybe this is helping. I'll be candid, I really don't know.

Electricity cost could be a concern, however my PV solar panels match my electric usage and nets out to near zero electric cost. My solar true-up last year was just over five dollars. I think if I were paying typical No. CA PG&E rates I'd be watching the electrical costs more closely.

And, I don't remember why I have a 2 minute off cycle. I didn't think it would run if start and stop were the same time. I'll change it so it runs non stop and see.

Thanks,

Dan

Your skimmer should have a weir door that keeps material that gets in the skimmer from going back out into the pool when the pump stops.
The VS pump below an RPM of ~1000 rpm is very inefficient. You are getting very little water flow for the watts you are using. At 1000 rpm you should be in the 150-170 watt range.

Dan,

My comments were more just my personal philosophy rather than any kind of advice... If you are happy with your schedule that is all that matters.. I like to run my pump 24/7 and often catch comments on that it is "not necessary".. I agree 100%, but, I like it and that is all that is important to me.. My feelings about the chlorine is that I like adding a little chlorine all the time.. It is just what I like to do.. I run my pump at 1200 RPM, which for me is about 180 watts.. This allows me to generate chlorine and skim all the time.. Again, not necessary, just something I like to do..

Another reason that I run my pump 24/7 is that I almost never have to prime my pump.. Unlike most people, I don't have a suction side air leak, I have a useless SVRS version of the IntelliFlo pump. 50% of the time, at start up, it will go into the "Entrapment" mode and shut off.. The less often that I have to start it, the better off I am..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Marty,

Thanks for the comments on the weir and on the pump efficiency ( flow per watt considerations). I hadn't really focused on the flow and set the speed just fast enough to keep the debris in the skimmer. My skimmer weir has never done a good job holding debris behind it when the pump is not running. Weir was replaced many years ago when the original broke and what I have now was the closest I could find at the time. Perhaps I can find an improved one that fits better and will actually keep stuff in when it is closed.

Jim,

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate others perspectives. My setup is a result of my experimentation, however I haven't looked at hard data like pump flow vs watts efficiency nor have I considered benefits of SWCG running 24x7 and bumping the speed up at night so there is enough flow to skim at night vs just holding in what was already skimmed. I have a Sta Rite VS 3050 that never fails to start or prime, so that is not a factor for me. I think I'll re-review the slow speed settings and see what my minimum flow is to generate chlorine.

Kurt,

Sorry to hijack your thread. Perhaps the discussion will be relevant for your setup as well. Once I get to experimenting, I'll start a new thread.

Thanks again all,

Dan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.