IC40 running with 45* water

Jun 25, 2017
DFW, TX
Weird thing going on here....my swg is running normally with water temp at 45 degrees. I’m guessing since the salt level shows zero that the sensors have gone out and it doesn’t know to shut off at mid 50’s ( ie. cold water light not illuminated). Anyone else have this strange behavior from swg? And I thought this yr. couldn’t get any weirder.

If the temperature sensor fails in the IC it assumes the water temp is 73 and keeps on generating.

Your salt level reading 0 on your ET is a separate problem. The IC40 calculates it has salt based on the the default temperature but the ET has a bug and is not receiving the salt level.

What to Do If Easy Touch/ScreenLogic Reports Salt Level as Zero
For some reason, unknown to Pentair, minor changes to the system will cause the salt level in the EasyTouch and ScreenLogic to read zero. This is just an error in reporting and the cell should still be working as long as the actual salt level is ok and the cell does not show a "red low salt" light on the cell. I believe that there is a timing issue in the circuitry that reports the salt reading to the EasyTouch. It is obvious that the cell knows what the real salt level is. This has been "Fixed" by the following actions:
  • Just shutting off and rebooting the ET
  • Replacing the flow switch
  • Replacing the ET's surge card (power supply for the cell)
  • Replacing the ET's main board
  • Replacing the salt cell itself.

Plan on replacing the flow switch assembly or Replace the Bad Temperature Sensor in the Flow Switch with a Separate Sensor.

@ajw22
Allen, you can add the IntelliCenter to that as well. Same exact thing. IntelliChlor operates normally (no red low salt light), but zero is indicated in the IntelliCenter web client, mobile app etc.
Several have reported the same and its now happened to me as well.
Thanks...
r.

Yes, mine’s been showing no salt for a year now on ScreenLogic but water testings are normal. Just removed the swg anyway and put my dummy cell in for the winter....will get the “lost comm with intellichlor” message for awhile.

If you would like to not get the error message, set up a Feature Circuit and schedule that for your pump run during the winter. Delete the Pool schedule.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
r, @MyAZPool

What would that be? Switch to Hayward???

Jim R.
:p Nah, that would be like switching from a Chevy Vega to a Ford Pinto when it comes to pool automation sensor readings.

Really, the most practical solution is to just use a Taylor K-1766 periodically to obtain a salt reading and forget about having a salt reading reported to ScreenLogic or IntelliCenter….

However, IF one just absolutely, positively MUST have a salt reading in digital format. Then don’t look towards Pentair (or Hayward) for the solution because all you’ll get is failure and frustration in my opinion.

I conducted an experiment not long ago. I had some time on my hands and wanted to have some fun at other's expense. And so I took water samples to five different pool stores that used electronic meters for obtaining a salt reading just to see what the results would be. As far as pool water salt content, I was handed readings that varied anywhere from 2500ppm to 4800ppm. The mean average was about 3700.

If your goal is to have a “real-time”, reliable readout of your pool salt level on your mobile device or your computer, then stop messing around with goofy junk out there and install a high-end “made in America” reliable EC sensor/probe that can be reliably calibrated down to a nats rear-end and that compensates for temperature.

Only then can you have real-time reliable salt content readings in digits, and in a manner that is not cost-prohibitive.

2020-12-21_09-31-00.jpg 2020-12-21_09-38-25.jpg

Or better yet, if you don’t care about having salt content reported real-time in digital format and you want to keep some of your hard earned money in your back pocket, invest in a K-1766 from TFTestKits.net. ;)
r.

r,

I think it is just you.. :mrgreen:

I have three Pentair saltwater pools and none of them has ever had the zero salt level issue.. Combined they have been running for over 20 years...

There is no doubt we have seen the issue here at TFP, but how do you rate the number of failures with the number of units produced or in operation. I wonder what the actual failure rate is???

I used to run several non-pool related repair departments.. If the only thing you looked at was the units returns for repair, it would appear almost everything was failing.. In reality, the failure rate was less than 1%...

Jim R.

• Haha
Reactions: MyAZPool
r,

I think it is just you.. :mrgreen:

I have three Pentair saltwater pools and none of them has ever had the zero salt level issue.. Combined they have been running for over 20 years...

There is no doubt we have seen the issue here at TFP, but how do you rate the number of failures with the number of units produced or in operation. I wonder what the actual failure rate is???

I used to run several non-pool related repair departments.. If the only thing you looked at was the units returns for repair, it would appear almost everything was failing.. In reality, the failure rate was less than 1%...

Jim R.
Jim, You're probably right. It probably is me. Either my expectations are too high or the IntelliCenter firmware is jacked up (very likely) or it's just a combination of both. :thumleft:
Since I refuse to lower my expectations and I can't hog tie Pentair and force them to do a better job with quality control, I'm content on finding my own alternative solutions.
r.

• Haha
Reactions: Turbo1Ton
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.