IC40 reporting no salt for months, but was working until now..

Jun 19, 2017
Lucas, TX
I have an IC40 that I installed about a year ago today.. A few months ago it started reporting low salt levels, then ultimately it shows nothing now.

It has been generating chlorine, so I figured no big deal, it's not very accurate anyways. Now all of a sudden my pool has no chlorine. I have a 20K gallon pool, the IC40 is set to 75% now since it's been so hot lately.

What's interesting through all of this is that the lights on the cell show green lights, like nothing is wrong. I went to clean the blades a few months ago and it was like new, so I'm sure it's still almost clean if i were to remove it and inspect it now.

I've read that it's unknown why the unit stops reporting salt, but it still thinks the salt levels are good. Would a bad flow switch stop it from producing chlorine, or is the unit probably just toast?

Edit: And I've manually tested the salt using the Taylor kit, it shows 3600ppm..

And another piece of information...

I turned on the super chlorinate option in the screenlogic app, then tested water coming directly from the supply line and it's reporting 4.5ppm..

So this thing does work, somewhat... Hopefully it's just that switch needing to be replaced.

That all says the cell is working???? Forgetting about the salt level being reported to the ET, what is is that is not working? What is it that you expect the new flow switch to fix?

Jim R.

What is the pump run time per day?

You might need to SLAM.

You should do an OCLT.

What is the cyanuric acid level?

Pump runs from 7am to 7pm, I just SLAM'ed it the other day. OCLT is normal. CYA is 60-70ish..

Not sure what I expect the switch to fix, but Pentair say this sounds like a bad switch to them. Last summer I never had to crank this thing up to the setting it now. I left it around 60 to 65%, meanwhile this year it's at 75% and there's no chlorine in the pool.. So something isn't working as it should.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.