IC40 or IC60? Replacement

electro

Apr 28, 2020
New York
My IntelliChlor IC40 appears to be going down with the ship. The green cell light is blinking for inspect cell. It was cleaned with muriatic acid. Lifespan shows 80,000 hours after holding "More" button for 3 seconds. I've been in the house for 5 years and no telling when the IC40 was replaced before that so I'm guessing it's probably time. It's been challenging keeping the pool clear.

At any rate, I have a few questions:
Should I replace with same IC40 or perhaps upgrade to IC60? I have an 18,000 gallon pool. No fancy automation that I've read about here.
If I do go with the IC60 is it an easy swap?
Where is the best 'economical' place to buy?

Thanks!
e

Welcome to the forum!
8000 hours - pretty good. 10000 hours to failure is the design.
I would say stick with the IC40. You only use the SWCG four months or so each year. Also, without automation, you can only adjust at 20% increments when in the 20-100% range.
Check the web for replacement. As a replacement, you get a two year Pentair warranty with DIY install.
Polytec Pools, InyoPools, SunPlay, etc. Look for best price.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thanks for the quick reply and link to awesome website! Yes, I understand it's 20% increments. Since I'm not doing automation there's no advantage of getting the IC60? On the new salt cell do I start at 20%? I always have Leslie's test my water.

Depends on testing what you set the SWCG to.

With your short season the electronics of the SWCG will fail before you consume the generation available. So the IC40 is fine.

I would strongly suggest getting your own test kit. Pool store tests are not consistent, reliable, or accurate.

E,

I too would stick with the IC40... Once the cell light starts flashing, and cleaning does nothing, then a new cell is in the cards..

Increasing the salt level can sometimes get you a little more production life..

Thanks,

Jim R.

E,

I just bought an IC40 from Amazon.. I did not know that they have an option to pay over time, with no interest.. They just charge your card once a month until paid for.

It was a smooth process and I will use them again when needed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.